Subaru and Tirerack and Dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that Subaru has created an "online" store where you can pick your tires on line and then have the dealer install them.

Basically it appears TireRack.com is the backend and supply house based on page formatting. The prices are slightly higher (maybe $10-$15/tire) but it appears all the coordination is done and pricing is up front.

Do other car makers do this?

http://www.subarutirestore.com/InitDealer?dealer=010172

Does it work for brand new Subarus? Another words, if I'm buying a new Subaru and I want it to be delivered with a specific set of tires instead of OEM, can it be done?

another tactic to get you in the door to upsell you. while u are getting tires installed, they do a safety check and tell u your blinker fluid is bad.

Buy tires from a tire place

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does it work for brand new Subarus? Another words, if I'm buying a new Subaru and I want it to be delivered with a specific set of tires instead of OEM, can it be done?

Not sure if that is the intention.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
another tactic to get you in the door to upsell you. while u are getting tires installed, they do a safety check and tell u your blinker fluid is bad.

Buy tires from a tire place

Interestingly enough the local tire places are $100 more with their online prices for my vehicle quoting RE970AS. Dealer is less expensive.

Mazda had a similar setup, but now use a different distributor. We never used them because no matter what we ordered we got charged $20 a tire in freight. Our Ford distributors don't charge freight unless it is a across the country type of thing. Plus the pricing is better for us.

As far as upsells, who is to say the car might not need whatever they are upselling. Yes there are lazy techs, but the vast majority want to upsell stuff that, in their professional opinion, the car needs.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
It appears that Subaru has created an "online" store where you can pick your tires on line and then have the dealer install them.

Basically it appears TireRack.com is the backend and supply house based on page formatting. The prices are slightly higher (maybe $10-$15/tire) but it appears all the coordination is done and pricing is up front.

Do other car makers do this?

http://www.subarutirestore.com/InitDealer?dealer=010172

It is somewhat common for vehicle manufacturers to use Tire Rack for their tire warranty supplier - and I'll bet that Subaru America (or whatever they call themselves) encourages Subaru dealers to use Tire Rack for replacement tires.

I'll bet other vehicle manufacturers have similar setups or are considering similar setups. Good ideas spread pretty quickly.

Are you willing to wait the extra 2 month delay that is going to cause? Since the tires will still have to be shipped to Japan, then the car takes another month or so to make it to the US. Suburau still makes most of their models in Japan.

You have to negotiate that when you purchase the car.

Put a different way, "Subaru" - as in the vehicle manufacturer - will only deliver the vehicle to the dealer with the tires THEY approve for the vehicle - and nothing else. You can not get the vehicle manufacturer to apply what you want - unless it is what they have already approved.

What happens at the vehicle dealer is a different story. You can get the dealer to do most anything, but you will have to pay for that privilege.

Oh, and if you do get the dealer to change tires, be aware that Subaru - as in the vehicle manufacturer - will not honor any warranty that involves those tires. It may also be problematic to get the dealer to honor any warranty, even though they applied the tires. And it may even be difficult to get the tire manufacturer to honor any warranty due to the nature of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back