LC in auto transmissions OK, how about wet clutches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to ask the same thing about this and FP60 in my gsxr!
smile.gif

I'm sure FP60 will be fine in the fuel. BTW, have you noticed how BOTH of these fluids sure are slippery-feeling?

I have this question put to the LCD site, so, if they write back, I'll tell you what they say. My GUESS is that it will be OK....because I THINK auto trans clutch-packs are similar enough to wet clutches, but, I don't know that for a fact.

LCD responded and said, at 1 ounce per quart, it's fine for wet clutches. They report up to 3 ounces PER QUART without any problems in wet clutches.

Let me respond by saying we recommend 1/oz per quart, but have seen 3 oz/ per quart with no problems....but that was not a recommended treat rate.

It did not slip my clutch, but gear shifting deteriorated rapidly after spirited riding.

thwwx, my shifting deteriorates fairly quickly, until I went to Delo 15-40. Do you mean your shifting deteriorated quicker when using LC with your usual oil compared to shifting deterioration without LC in your usual oil after spirited riding?

I used LC20 at the recommended levels with Red Line 10W-40 in my last OCI (2,300 miles) and experienced no deterioration in shift quality throughout the OCI. 1999 Kawasaki KLR650.

Put it in my sump with wet clutch. As advised, the clutch is fine. Bike shifts GREAT, too! BTW, added this to Delo 15w-40 in a 1500 V-twin.

I noticed the improvement from the addition to LC going away very fast in my bike. After a hundred miles or so, it felt almost worse than it was.

I'll watch closely for that, Shaman. I actually change oil based upon shift-quality, not miles. As soon as it starts to feel like anything other than buttery-smooth, I change it out. It's a poor-man's shear-detector. I really don't expect LC to affect shearing of the oil, I'm using it as a cleaning agent...hoping it will keep blow-by carbon off of the innards of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back