question on gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have alway bought exxon gas for my dakota. now all of a sudden. I am getting pinging under WOT. never did this before. now recently it is. could they be dropping the octain rating as cutting corners to increase their profits. or maybe they started putting ethonol (sorry cant spell)in their gas now. would this cause pinging?

its just wierd that it would start pinging all of a sudden. I know I can go with a one range cooler plug.

quote:

Originally posted by andyd:
change gas brands and see if the pinging goes away.

will try that on my trip down to SC this weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
could they be dropping the octain rating as cutting corners to increase their profits.

Are you serious?

the way they are making money. I wouldnt put anything past them. after all they try to jusfy the rise in gas prices because they are calling for just as bad or even worse hurricane season this year. so if they can follow that thinking. they can do anything I guess. after all even with all the hurricanes exxon posted the highest profits in american history at the end of the 4th quarter. other comapnies has be caught watering down stuff to try and make more money. so why cant gas companies try it.

I am sure they dont but I can speculate. just like they are speculating about a bad hurricane season
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blokey:
Doesn't ethanol effectively raise the octane rating?

It would if you added it to pump gas yourself. But the pump blend is at the octane rating stated on the pump. The A/F mixture needed for E10 is slightly richer than for straight gas. That may be the reason for the pinging.

Wait so you Mean their Requiring all Gasoline in the U.S.A to contain 10% ethanol by july ? Even In areas that previously had no reformulated gas and no Ethanol ?

see I know nothing about ethanol. I live where we never had it. and heard about gas is starting to require it. so I was wondering if the station I got the gas from started it and was casuing my pinging. as it just started.

The octane rating is the octane rating. It doesn't matter if there is alcohol in the gas or not.
The absolute BTUs/gallon will differ, though.
Maybe the warmer temps in spring are causing knocking. You can utilize a little more spark advance in winter conditions.

MTBE is going away, was the major octane improvement additive...required because of drinking water source contamination...EPA directed

being replaced by ethanol...some will notice drop in fuel mileage

major factor in recent gas price increases as refinerys, tank farms and distributors make the switch

major shortage of ethanol

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
But the pump blend is at the octane rating stated on the pump.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
The octane rating is the octane rating. It doesn't matter if there is alcohol in the gas or not.

Yes that's correct. I guess I wasn't clear in my post. The octane listed on the pump is the octane of the fuel. What I implied was that I don't think ethanol is the reason for the pinging because if anything, ethanol is the high octane component of the fuel.

I have been using 10% ethanol in all of my cars since the late 1970's. It's sold cheaper here in Iowa because they don't tax the 10% ethanol part. (state optional) The tax is on the remaining 90% dino fuel. I've yet to have an engine problem from the ethanol gasoline even on an older Buick GS (350 with 10/1 compression) back in the late 1970's. The only thing you might see will be a slight reduction in mileage because the ethanol has fewer BTU's than dino gasoline. kwg

The warmer temps can cause pinging. The lean condition caused by the summer gas can also increase pinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back