Changing Oil Filter Every Other Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this any reason why you can't change your oil filter every other time if you are using a high capacity filter like M1, Amsoil, Puralator synthtetic, etc., and only going 4k to 5k on oil service intervals?

I bought a Puralator Synthetic filter at PepBoys yesterday, and the advise was to change it out at every oil service.

I am wondering why.

RevRider

If your engine is fairly clean, I'd say it's fine. I plan on doing that because I'm using the M1 Extended Life filter rated for 15k miles.

Sorry but I do not like doing things without clear facts and people on the forum have opinions either way on this one.

I like facts so if you want to do it run say 5k and do a UOA. Change oil only and then do another UOA at 10k the change both filter and oil.

Depending on the results of both the UOA's then that gives you back up to decide if the filter needs changed at 5k.

That assumes someone has not already done that and posted results.

eddie

I've done it several times. Depends on my mood really. If I'm running an upper tier filter sometimes I do 2 OCI's on it.
But OTOH, if I'm already under there why not just do the entire thing with fresh filter an oil.

Per the Honda Maintenance Minder, the filter (Bosch Distance+, Fram Extended Guard (now Ultra Guard)) in our Civic is changed every other oil change, about 14k miles. I've cut them open, and while not scientific by any means, the pleats were still intact and no debris was noted within. The ADBV was also piable. The filter looked just fine for a third interval.

It's a Civic, so I don't plan on sending out a sample of analysis. I'll just do what seems prudent, based on UOA posted here, and how conservatively the car is driven.

The "it's cheap insurance" mantra never struck a chord with me. A product is designed for a purpose, so why only use it partially? If I'm going to buy a better filter (or any product for that matter,) because it offers a longer life or more durability and it is more efficient, then it would behoove me to use it to its full potential.

Last edited:
Unless your warranty stipulates that the filter must be changed at every oil change, the M1 will easily do 10-15K miles. Oil filters don't "know" how many OCIs you are doing, so if your plan is to run the filter for close to its maximum rated performance of 15k miles, go for it.

The cheap insurance argument makes sense only if you are putting in a cheap store-brand filter with little to no information on its efficiency and mileage rating. Otherwise, using a $10 filter for less than its intended use is waste of resources AND money.

I say, why change it every time if you really don't have too...?

A Mobil 1 oil filter is what, $12.99 a piece if not more (haven't bought one at retail price, so I'm not sure).

$12.99 x 8 oil changes = $103.92

If you're doing 5k OCIs and run the filter for two intervals (10k total) that's $51.96 that remains in your wallet.

That's $50 LESS spent on maintenance.
That's $50 LESS added to your total cost of ownership of the vehicle.
That's $50 that you can spend elsewhere.

Now if the oil filter is rated for 15k miles and you can easily run it that long without any negative side effects, that's even more cash left in your pocket.

I've ran both Mobil 1 and Amsoil oil filters for 15k and the UOA was no different after 15k on the oil filter then it was at 7,500 miles.

A high quality oil filter provides more then just holding capacity, it also filters better then the cheaper alternative. So even if you choose to dump it after 5k, you're engine still benefited from cleaner oil flowing through the block.

I personally buy my Mobil 1 oil filters in bulk during a sale and they end up costing me $6.50 a piece. I still choose to use them for their full capacity and will run them for 15k miles, between multiple OCIs and even multiple engines, in order to use the filter to its fullest.

My engines are super clean thanks to quality oil and filters, even changed at extended intervals and run flawlessly (oldest is a 98 Toyota Camry V6 with 240,000 miles).

You choose where you want to spend your money...

Sorry, my 2 cents in...

changing the oil filter every OCI is cheap insurance, and also good common sense.

the mfgr's that say (like honda) change filter every other oil change makes the car look like it needs less maintenance.

What's $5 for a filter just because it might not need to be changed, doesn't mean it shouldn't.

If I had to, I'd personally change the filter every OCI and leave the oil in and just top it off.

As much as I experiment, changing both is just for sake of mind.
Could this be the beginning of another mechanics myth?

Originally Posted By: EricF
Sorry, my 2 cents in...

changing the oil filter every OCI is cheap insurance, and also good common sense.

Could this be the beginning of another mechanics myth?

I disagree. Common sense, IMO, denotes doing what is best for you, which in this particular case, means what's best for your engine. That doesn't include throwing away a part that hasn't reached the end of its useful life.

I wouldn't throw away half-used brake pads just as I wouldn't throw away half-used filter.

I understand that a pad's thickness can be visually verified while a filter's used capacity and internal state cannot. Empirically, however, I feel comfortable that the filters I mentioned above can conservatively go to 15k miles, based on MY use. YMMV.

Many years ago, Honda, VW and one American manufacture (can't remember but, maybe Chrysler), did long term tests on their oil filters. The test results yielded data that showed filters get more efficient as the the filters are used. The conclusion was to recomend changing the oil filter every other oil change.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies, appreciate it.

My car is a 1997 Honda Civic with 145,000 miles on the engine, I am the original owner.

The reason I bring up the every other change is getting to the oil filter is a real pain in the butt. Also, it seemed to me that if the filter manufacturers state 10-15k, why throw it away at say 5k? I think the comment by gathermewool is really valid.

RevRider

Revrider

My favorite way to monitor the oil filter is with the oil pressure gauge.

My Volvo doesn't have a pressure gauge. But I've run premium synthetic since I bought it six years ago with 50k miles on it. I'm confident that my engine is very clean inside, and changing my filter every other OCI is fine.

But if I were to buy another used car, I would replace the filter every OCI because I would be certain the engine is filthy inside. I live in TN, and it seems the average Tennessean is religious about NOT caring for his or her car.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Many years ago, Honda, VW and one American manufacture (can't remember but, maybe Chrysler), did long term tests on their oil filters. The test results yielded data that showed filters get more efficient as the the filters are used. The conclusion was to recomend changing the oil filter every other oil change.

That's because they do.

They become more and more efficient until they reach 100% efficiency and go into bypass.

The mantra of filters being cheap insurance is false, you are not buying extra cleanliness, you are resetting your distance until 100% efficiency.

I change every other OCI with Purolator Classics and NAPA Golds.

I change mine every second or third oil change. Up to 15000 miles or 20000ish kms. I've not had a single oil issue nor do I anticipate one.
I don't care what other people do with their engines and such,if it makes them happy doing what they are doing then more power to em however I've found no evidence that doing things my way is causing any harm,and I've got a few high mile engines in my stable.

Using an extended use premium filter for 4-5k intervals doesn't make any more sense to me than using a top tier synthetic oil and changing it at short intervals.

I honestly believe just using a 3 to 4 dollar filter for 4-5k OCI's and changing it every time is a better plan.

Can you run that premium filter multiple OCI's? Absolutely. You'll be leaving some spent oil in your crankcase doing so just to justify the use of the high dollar filter, seems like false economy to me.

I just do it every 5,000 miles. With a wix or purolator and a dino oil. Why not do it? Guess to me the old rule applies if you care for your tools they will care for you. No one has ever hurt their car from changing the oil or filter more often then absolutely necessary. The opposite cannot be said.

I wonder if you could determine a filter's state of efficiency by removing and weighing it, comparing it to when it was new and filled with oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back