Yokohama Avid Touring - S

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my accords tires were getting pretty bad, especially the front ones. On the trip to south florida the front right tire lost some rubber and you could see the metal on the tire. We did make it back without any blow outs. I went to my local trusted shop and they put on Yokohama Avid Touring - S tires. Any good?

My Dad had a set of Avid TRZs on his '04 Accord V6. He used them all year in Upstate NY and had no complaints. He would put about 20k a year on that car too, but I'm not sure how long he had them for to see if they lasted as long as they were supposed to. Not sure how they compare to the Touring-S though.

I know I considered the Yokos for my Civic, but just ended up going with Michelin Harmony (now Defender) because I had a good run with Michelin last time I used them. I believe the Yokos had plenty of positive feedback on Tire Rack as well.

Excellent tire, excellent value tire, currently on the second set on an 01 Civic, highly recommend. And if it means anything to you, they are made in the USA. Use with confidence.

A google search of this site should yield more similar comments.

They were on my short list as a quality, us made tire. I got a set of cooper cs4 last night for much less, because of a Mir. But I'd have bought the yokos if the rebate wasn't on...

Good choice.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For the money, Yokohama tires are always a good performing tire.

+1
Been considering these as a replacement for the wife's Kelly Navs on her car...

I don't think I have bought anything but the most expensive Michelins for any of my cars (have 5 cars now) for the last 20 years except the Yoko Touring S on my 2000 Concorde.

I always get great service from Michelin but the Yoko was half the price of Hydroedge for the Concorde, so I decided to take a chance. Quality compromises often do not pay off in the long run, but I think this one will. I love the tires. They have no bad habits, corner and ride great. My limited experience with tires other than Michelin tells me they might be one the best tires for the money out there. I like they are USA made and the balance weights are small. They have about 20K miles on them and show no noticeable wear.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
they are made in the USA. Use with confidence.

When I emailed the company, they told me that they were made in VA, which might make it the closest tire plant to my house. I have these tires on my Eacort and I do like them, but they do cost more than some other made in USA tires I have used on this car in the past. As in I like them but, I figured it was because I was paying more for a better tire. I have probably had them on the car for 4 years now.

A friend of mine used to work at the Yokohama factory in Salem, VA. I bought a set of Avid TRZs because of that, for my '07 Corolla. I didn't care for the tires themselves, but I was happy to support a local factory. I traded the car before I replaced the tires again.

I almost bought those from a local place, but ended up going with the YK580 instead. I am very happy with my Yoko's.

Why aren't you telling us if they are any good, you are the one with the tires..

I had a set of AVID touring tires on an older Civic and then bought a set for my sister's car. I found them to be a tremendous value. Good all-around performance, reasonable, and made in the US was a bonus.

That's good to hear. I just bought a 2013 Dodge GC with 21K miles on it. It has 225-65-16 Yokohama Avid - S33 on it. First impression is that they ride somewhat harsh and seem to spin easily in the wet. Possibly a hard rubber compound? Anyone have an opinion on what kind of miles I can expect from these tires?

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

That's good to hear. I just bought a 2013 Dodge GC with 21K miles on it. It has 225-65-16 Yokohama Avid - S33 on it. First impression is that they ride somewhat harsh and seem to spin easily in the wet. Possibly a hard rubber compound? Anyone have an opinion on what kind of miles I can expect from these tires?

Wayne

If that is a factory installed tire, expect no particularly good attributes out of it.
I have never seen an OE installed tire as good as other higher end models available even from the same company.

My father's car came with Toyo Proxes A05. They were one of the worst tires I've ever seen. A brand with typically a good reputation. Same with Bridgestone Turanza on some cars from the factory. Some are just sub par compared with the aftermarket higher level models.

I'm assuming these are factory installs, with only 20600 miles. Van is a ex rental/lease vehicle. I haven't measured the tread depth, but they look pretty well worn for the mileage. I can tell by the wear pattern that they have been rotated front to back.

It's interesting that of 24 similar vans listed within 100 miles, all but 2 were rental/leases.

Oh well, price was right, features were right, wife is happy.....

Wayne

Yok Avid Touring is one of the tires I'll be considering when tires are due for recent bought Tucson. Right now it has fresh Fuzion tires which seem cheap, but they were already installed before I got to see the vehicle. Not real bad but I want quieter and good wet traction when the rains come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back