new tire care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I never do anything but wash my tires and I've never had any issues with cracking or rotting or anything....

Can't see why/how washing would protect tyres from ozone or UV, (which are probably the main tyre sidewall threats?) unless you are washing them with a wax or other protectant.

Could just be that your environment is relatively benign, and/or you drive more than me (most people do).

Here in Taiwan, mileages are low and its rather hot and sunny.

I guess my point is, it doesn't really matter..
I have no idea if it helps or not. Tires need to be replaced every few years anyways, usually due to low tread/noise etc, so protecting them is a non issue.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I never do anything but wash my tires and I've never had any issues with cracking or rotting or anything....

Can't see why/how washing would protect tyres from ozone or UV, (which are probably the main tyre sidewall threats?) unless you are washing them with a wax or other protectant.

Could just be that your environment is relatively benign, and/or you drive more than me (most people do).

Here in Taiwan, mileages are low and its rather hot and sunny.

I guess my point is, it doesn't really matter..
I have no idea if it helps or not. Tires need to be replaced every few years anyways, usually due to low tread/noise etc, so protecting them is a non issue.

I say above that its a non-issue for most people.

I don't do many miles, so its an issue for me. 2nd cars, trailers, RV's might be other such special cases.

Last edited:
I 1st sprayed my tires with "Tire Wet" 10 months after they left the factory, the 2nd time 2 months later (2 months ago), and they bead/repel water and look like new...maybe people overdo it...

I might be doing everything wrong, but my tires keep their black look. When they are new, I scrub them repeatedly with degreaser and a brush until the rinse water is clear. Then I let them dry before applying rubber/vinyl protectant. I bought a gallon of it from a detail supply store, works great on all the plastics, too... On the tires, I just spray it on and wipe the excess off the wheels. Inside the car, I apply it, then buff the excess off with a microfiber after about 20 minutes or so. You can pick your protectant, just make sure you get the tire sidewalls very clean first. I've used everything from armorall to meguiars endurance, but I don't particularly care for the super-shiny look.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I might be doing everything wrong, but my tires keep their black look. When they are new, I scrub them repeatedly with degreaser and a brush until the rinse water is clear......

Degreaser? What kind? What's in it? I would think that some degreasers have petroleum distillates - a definite No-no.

I even question the more organic ones - like orange-based. Anything that degreases would also tend to dissolve the rubber. That can't be good.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
.......Then I let them dry before applying rubber/vinyl protectant. I bought a gallon of it from a detail supply store, works great on all the plastics, too... On the tires, I just spray it on and wipe the excess off the wheels. Inside the car, I apply it, then buff the excess off with a microfiber after about 20 minutes or so. You can pick your protectant, just make sure you get the tire sidewalls very clean first. I've used everything from armorall to meguiars endurance, but I don't particularly care for the super-shiny look.

If the protectant has petroleum distillates, then it's dissolving the rubber - not good.

It also needs to have anti-oxidants (AO's). It's the AO's that slow down the deterioration of the rubber. Anything that removes AO's and anything that doesn't have AO's is not helping.

And don't forget: Tires have waxes in them that forms a barrier to oxygen. Anything that removes the waxes is also counter productive.

BTW, it's the waxes that make the tire un-shiny (Is that a word?) - and it's the AO's that make it some color other than black.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back