Best oil for lawnmowers and other small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage is my primary OPE oil, with either Rotella or Delo 5w40 used if i don't have any M1 around.

Hopping onto this thread just in time - about to do the first oil change on my Briggs "Endurance" (relablled ELS, for Husqvarna)

The manual shows the standard chart that Briggs uses for temp range, etc. Synth 5w-30 covers everything....but I happen to have some Mobil1 TDT (5W-40).

Its "heavier" but would it still be OK to use?

Thanks.

I'd use it.
It's not as though you're going to be starting and using the mower in bitter cold, and TDT is pretty thick at lower temps.

I have used GC 0W30 in my B&S snowblower engine & change every 75-100 hours of use. Since starting using GC I hardly ever use the self start, it starts up easily with the manual pull start. I also use Shell V power gas in it.

I use GC in my snowblower, but wasnt sure I wanted a 0W during startup for my tractor (which is only used in warm/hot weather)

I was able to find a couple quarts of various synth I had (Pennzoil Plat and QSUD), Ill be changing the oil again at the end of the season anyway....will be on the lookout for some decent deals on a decent synth, maybe something like Napa full synth.

Originally Posted By: ChrisJH
I use GC in my snowblower, but wasnt sure I wanted a 0W during startup for my tractor (which is only used in warm/hot weather)

I was able to find a couple quarts of various synth I had (Pennzoil Plat and QSUD), Ill be changing the oil again at the end of the season anyway....will be on the lookout for some decent deals on a decent synth, maybe something like Napa full synth.

GC is a 30 weight.

I use whatever cheap sae30 or 15w-40 I see, or whatever I have lying around. My mower has ye olde briggs flathead, it doesn't care what kind of oil is in there. I actually have M1 0w-40 in it right now, but that's only because I happened to have a partial bottle of it that was right around the 18 oz. quantity the mower takes.

Originally Posted By: ChrisJH

At 80*F, that GC 0W is probably 15X thicker at startup than when it's warmed up and rated as a 30 weight...

Totally a non issue...

If money is no object then my favorite lawn mower oil is Amsoil 0w40 four stroke.

It made a noticeable difference in how my Honda gvc160 runs and I am leaving it in for at least 2 years.

I used to get puffs of black smoke when going from idle to full throttle with straight 30 weight or 5w30 Dino. This doesn't happen with the Amsoil and the engine seems to have more power when I hit long grass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mva
If money is no object then my favorite lawn mower oil is Amsoil 0w40 four stroke.

It made a noticeable difference in how my Honda gvc160 runs and I am leaving it in for at least 2 years.

I used to get puffs of black smoke when going from idle to full throttle with straight 30 weight or 5w30 Dino. This doesn't happen with the Amsoil and the engine seems to have more power when I hit long grass.

Should have zero to do with the oil, black smoke is a over rich fuel condition...

I ran a mix of Advance 10w-30, 10w-40 & straight 40 weight in my GCV160 as a flush(used engine with unknown history) for a couple cuttings and couldn't tell the difference from the M1 0W-40 that is the current fill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back