How do you fight the urge to buyanew set of tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of my parents probably shooting me for buying yet another set of tires and storing in their garage

I have 2 sets of full tires for my Focus, 3 sets of full tires for the Cherokee ... and probably another 8 mounted tires / wheels just hanging out in their Garage...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Ha! I won't buy a tire until its PAST being needed, LOL. I know its bad, but I run 'em way too long on my trucks. Then, I only buy used ones for $25-$30 installed, LOL.

New ones are only for the family Van, our Honda Odyssey. No "urges" here!

Ditto. For my own personal ride, I roll on whatever I can find used, (sometimes even pull them out of the trash). I mount and balance them myself, (since I was a teenager - I'm 50 years old now) and have had very few problems over the years. Ditto as well to the wife's car and children's car - they always get new tires. The only time I broke my own rule was back in November of last year when my son was driving my Ford Taurus. Front tires started looking rotten, (still plenty of tread, but lots of cracks). I bit the bullet and bought two new tires from Walmart. Literally, one month later, he finds himself a truck and I start driving the Taurus again. Shoulda/coulda kept that money in my pocket.

However, because I use used, I will change out a tire to suit my needs/driving desires. When I was working heavily in the citrus groves, I always put a set of wide tall tires with soft sidewalls on the back of my truck on oversized wheels so they would pull well in our world famous Florida sand. Never used a four wheel drive and rarely got stuck no matter how soft or deep the sand. If it so happened I did get stuck, simply let the air out of the rear tires down to around 18 pounds and she'd crawl right out.

It sounds to me you have a similar problem. You'd like the bigger tires to help you drive. Sure, you could run your current set till they popped. But is this question more about tire wear or modifying your current ride to suit your needs? In other words, is this more about money, (if so, keep your current set), or is it more about making your driving experience more enjoyable/comfortable?

Originally Posted By: lizpat
I found a set of tires that I think will be perfect for my style of driving (in Manhattan NYC, terrible roads, potholes, dips, valleys, etc.)

It's a set of the newly released Kumho Sense (no reviews yet!) but it looks just right for me, in the size 205/65/15, it's the lightest tire in its class and it's so cheap, at only 69 dollars per.

My current tires have about 2 years of tread left, it's in the size 195/60/15. I can use the extra sidewall for more ground clearance and more shock absorption.

It's not a good idea to stock up on tires since they age..

One point not mentioned so far: Not a good idea to switch sizes that much. The ABS could be affected---if you have ABS---and the speedometer/odometer will be off by 5%. If you must have that specific model and want to go wider than stock, then 205/60/15 makes more sense. That's only about a 2% difference, and the price on TR is only $1 more per tire.

If you want more sidewall, 185/65/15 (off by 1%) or 195/65/15 (off by 3%) makes more sense. Those sizes are also cheaper, especially the 185s. See: http://www.1010tires.com/

What vehicle do you have?

To answer the question: I never let tires get to the wear bars, but apart from that it depends on time of year, how much I like the tires on the car at the time---and that bank account thingie. Plus what if any deals are out there in tire-world. It's always fun.

I do a tire rotation. Gives me some up close and personal time with my tires. Based on this, I usually rotate and top up the air as needed and keep on motorin!

I'm with GreeCguy. If there aren't threads, it ain't dead.

On the other hand, I keep my wife's care in deep tread. I don't trust that she can adjust her driving style depending on her tires.

On dry days with a good driving surface, bald tires are spectacular.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I'm with GreeCguy. If there aren't threads, it ain't dead.

On the other hand, I keep my wife's care in deep tread. I don't trust that she can adjust her driving style depending on her tires.

I'm afraid of hitting a puddle on a tire worn to the threads. Plus, if I get rid of them before they are too gone, someone will buy them for $50 instead of me having to pay the tire disposal fee.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm due for new tires next summer on the Focus :S

Amen to that brother! And with a wide, well worn, rounded on the edges tire in the soft sand, you can go anywhere you want to go.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Amen to that brother! And with a wide, well worn, rounded on the edges tire in the soft sand, you can go anywhere you want to go.

Oh, and don't forget all the excitement that comes comes with a complete loss of control in the rain...the longer braking distances...it's great! Just like bumper cars!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Oh, and don't forget all the excitement that comes comes with a complete loss of control in the rain...the longer braking distances...it's great! Just like bumper cars!

Not true! Bumper cars have a padded steering wheel.

GMorg wrote:"On dry days with a good driving surface, bald tires are spectacular."

Astro14 replied: "Oh, and don't forget all the excitement that comes comes with a complete loss of control in the rain...the longer braking distances...it's great! Just like bumper cars!"

Last time I checked, there really isn't much of an issue with rain on dry days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back