who makes the best fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerosene is a Petroleum Distillate. It could be changes in the naming system between the dates of when the MSDS were created.
dunno.gif
They're basically carrier/filler product anyways. I agree that the other Gumout formulations don't seem worth the $$ for what's in them.

quote:

Originally posted by skate1968:
Thanks XB,
This was autozone. It's like all of the employees were having a lazy contest. Several employees ignored me standing at the register before one of them rang me up.

I told the guy that they were out. And he said yes. But they had a lot of supplies that just arrived and that they might have it on the shelf tomorrow. He, of course, didn't offer to go look in the back.

Sounds typical of Uh-oh Zone. All the more reason to shop at a real parts store like Carquest or NAPA.

in my 95 acura integra with 130k miles, i am finishing the first rinse phase with auto-rx and am using fp60 at an ounce per five gallons. i went from getting about 300 miles on a tank of gas to about 350. i pretty much run the same route all of the time in my daily life. i am amazed. i will be doing a compression test this weekend and posting the before and after pics and numbers. quite impressive.

jamesn, your results pretty much mirror mine on a 96 Honda accord v6, same motor as early 90's accura's...
but even after that improvement know what has made the biggest improvement so far? replacing all the plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor. Eventually thinking the coil will need to be replaced as well.

Update on FP for stumbling that returned 5000 miles after Techron cleaning. One tank of fuel with it, and the stumbling is gone! Here's something interesting, the idle is just a tad lower now. Maybe with the stumble, the computer was raising the rpms to keep the average at a certain rpm, and without the stumble, the computer allows the engine to run at it's lowest target rpm. Anyway, it's smooth now!

I read a few years ago on here one guy did a test of effectiveness against carbon and safety vs nylon or some other plastic which is used as a pickup screen in some gas tanks. Some additives are extremely bad for the plastic, turning it into goo, or making it brittle and crumble, but the conclusion was that Seafoam and Techron Concentrate were very effective and very safe, with Seafoam being less expensive. I use both with good results.

As for having stumbling at 10k miles on a new engine, that is NOT indicative of a defect, you can carbon up an engine in 3k miles or less, and its no coincidence that is the recommended interval for most additives. If a treatment improves the stumbling, you can bet it was carbon causing it. Until I learned this, I always used to wonder why a tune-up wouldn't restore smooth idling on my high mileage used cars...

The FP60 and Neutra 131 mentioned above have an extremely good reputation for years on this board, the only reason I haven't tried them is I'd have to order them, vs. buying off the shelf locally.

I have used both BG 44K and Sea Foam. Sea Foam is cheaper and works just as well on my 4cyl camry as the BG did.

Racer X, do you know if Gumout Regane was one that damaged the screen?

Also, is Seafoam similar to B-12 Chemtool? Which one, if either, would be more "mild" on my fuel system?

I worry because I'm driving a '92 Nissan and I hear the fuel system(mainly injectors) are not very fond of overly harsh FI cleaners.

I had no problem with Techron, but I recently put some Regane in and have noticed my idle and throttle response to be a bit "twitchy".....probably all in my head but I am kinda worried.

And yes, I was also surprised by how small the "Regane Complete" lettering was. They should do something about that!

Titan wrote >
> I think I'll buy some Kroger, saving 10% on gas
> cost while spending a little in these additives.

You know of gas stations that have a 10% variance in price between the same grades of gas? Wow, that must be nearly $0.30. I rarely see much more than a $0.10 difference between gas stations and that usually only occurs when they are in the process of jacking around the prices and some get to it quicker than others.

Regards,

Rich

skate1968 wrote>
> I see a 20 to 30 cent difference regularly when > driving a few miles out of Philadelphia and in > to NJ.

There can be a 1000% difference between countries for that matter.

:)

Changing states is a whole other story, each state has a different taxation on gasoline so you have added an additional variable. In this instance, Pennsylvania has $0.495 tax per gallon and New Jersey has $0.329 so that alone is $0.17 of the difference you are experiencing. I used to always like Georgia for their paltry $0.29 tax per gallon a few years ago when you could see gas in Georgia at $1.00 while Ohio was at $1.15. Although, with gas being as high as it is from a historical perspective, the taxes don't account for as great a percentage difference as they used to.

http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/Gasoline-taxes.pdf

Anyway, my comment was strictly addressing Titan's comment that he can see nearly a $0.30 difference just by going to Kroger and buying "cheaper gas". He wasn't saying he wanted to go to New Jersey to buy less expensive gas.

Regards,

Rich

Rich, it's the discount they give for shopping at Kroger and buying a certain amount of groceries per month. Works out for me to be about 10%.

Titan, I thought the discount was $0.10/gallon? Of course, they could be running different offers in different parts of the country.

Well, I may be a bit biased as I handle graphic design for them, but that has let me do a LOT of reading on their products....

At any rate, I have to throw RUN-RITE's name in the ring here ... their products are professional-grade, and contain the same main additive as the Techron.

The SLEDGEHAMMER product is exceptionally potent. And they have tons of 3rd party testing and performance data to back up their claims.

check 'em out yourself:

RUN-RITE STORE

RUN-RITE HOME PAGE

What's really wild is that RUN-RITE actually packages the CHEVRON 3-STEP Fuel System Cleaning Kit FOR CHEVRON !!!

Good stuff ... but again, I admit freely, I may be biased here. But I;ve used the product too, and can see the improvements.

XB70 wrote >
> Titan, I thought the discount was $0.10/gallon? Of
> course, they could be running different offers in
> different parts of the country.

Yep, that is also what I was aware of $0.10 per gallon if you spent $100 a month or more.

(Googling)

Yep, here it is:

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/atl/fueljune.htm

Regards,

Rich

I just remembered something I saw a few months ago at a Kroger. I don't recall the details, but it had to do with using their credit card which had some "deal" involved with it when purchasing gas.

We'll have to wait until Titan returns and can clarify things for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back