Alternative way to use Amsoil engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the Amsoil engine flush is not a highly effective cleaner on higher mileage vehicles. This may seem stupid, but I was wondering, could the flush be used in a manner similar to the Auto-RX? What I mean by this is instead of adding the entire 16 oz. of the engine flush, you only add in 1-2 oz. and drive around for a little while (500-1,000 miles), then drain and refill with cheap petroleum oil and add another ounce or two and repeat, but before draining the 2nd time, add the rest of the engine flush and run it for 30 minutes and drain it.

I do not intend on trying this (or at least not on my car), I have just been wondering if this could work more effectively than dumping it all in and draining it. I know the engine flush thins the oil considerably, but with 1-2 oz. per 4-6 quarts, it would seem to be plenty diluted to where it wouldn't cause any damage. I figured that little bit of chemical would be able to flow easily through and disperse without overpowering the oil's lubricating ability, while slowly cleaning the surfaces. It makes sense to me, since a tad bit of the chemical would stay in the engine even after draining it, due to the engine's oil passages that would retain some oil.

Any input is greatly appreciated?

The problem is that many of these engine flushes have a high content of low flash point solvents, such as mineral spirits, kerosene and naptha.

Exposure to the higher temp areas in the engine will cause the solvents to volatize & flash off.

These solvents are probably most effective at lower engine oil temps, typically as found in 5-10 minutes of low rpm idling.

Per the Amsoil site.
"Engine Flush
AMSOIL Fast Acting Engine Flush is made from a carefully selected blend of solvents and special cleaning agents that dissolve and disperse harmful deposits formed in the crankcase, cylinder walls, pistons and rings of an internal combustion engine. When used as directed, it cleans and restores operating efficiency to valves, valve lifters, rocker arms, and pistons for improved horsepower, fuel economy, and performance. Use before changing oil".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back