Honda Fit 2013 M/T - First oil change and beyond..

So I got my first new car, been driving for 30+ years and was driving a 1985 Civic S for 18 years. I used to drive 12k miles a year easy but with a different job I am looking at only hitting 4k per year now. Short drives to and from work at 6 miles, 15 minutes, one way averaging 40MPH on back roads. I will be taking it out for longer drives with the family on the weekends.

Anywho, I currently have 72 miles on the Fit. I will not expect to hit the 15% on the oil minder so plan to change the FF in one year. Looking at UOA's on the latest Fit's it would seem that these motors are not throwing off much in the way of metals from new. So I suppose my plan to move on to one year drains with the 0W-20 M1 will be fine. No need for another year of semi-synthetic, right?

As long as you hit operating temperature once a week (highway preferred) for 20 - 30 minutes, I like your M1 once per year OCI plan.

Last edited:
Like you said, there isn't much break-in. No need for two "flush" cycles. Once you drop the FF, use whatever you want.

But if you are changing yearly, M1 is going to be a waste.

Warranty requires at least once a year changes. At a bit over $4 a quart otd with a WMT discount I think I can swing it.
grin.gif

With a lot of short trips in there the oil will be at least some what used up.

My wife has a 2012 Fit that will go about 7.5k per year on M1 AFE after the free oil change of the Honda 0W-20 is done.
Does that make up for the mild use of the M1 in my car?
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Good strategy.
I've read many great reviews on the Fits practicality and still being fun to drive. Enjoy it!

I found the Manual Transmission to be a lot more fun and totally changes the character of the car. The Sport also sticks even better in the corners.

Last edited:
Personally if it was my car. I would drop the FF at 50%, and refill with Honda 0w-20. Drop that one at 30%. Refill with Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, and do 0% or 1 yr oil changes.

Personally, I'd use a good oil and follow the MM, period, regardless of time.

I also would not go out of my way to drive on the highway, if the trip was solely for the sake of the oil.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Personally if it was my car. I would drop the FF at 50%, and refill with Honda 0w-20. Drop that one at 30%. Refill with Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, and do 0% or 1 yr oil changes.

NEVER on a Honda. They have high moly assembly lube in the FF and it should be run to at least 20% or 5000 miles. All other vehicles I drop the FF at 1000-1500 miles and use one fill of conventional to 5000 then go full synthetic.**

**Unless you get free oil changes from the dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris
Warranty requires at least once a year changes. At a bit over $4 a quart otd with a WMT discount I think I can swing it.
grin.gif

With a lot of short trips in there the oil will be at least some what used up.

My wife has a 2012 Fit that will go about 7.5k per year on M1 AFE after the free oil change of the Honda 0W-20 is done.
Does that make up for the mild use of the M1 in my car?
27.gif

The FF on your Fit has the viscosity characteristics of the new 0W-16 grade that Honda plans on making available eventually.

If you want to change the FF early I'd go with the Mazda High Moly 0W-20. After that the CoP made Honda 0W-20 would of course be a good choice especially if Honda is paying for it?

After that, if you're going to buying your own oil I'd stick to an OEM 0W-20 that's available from Mazda, Toyota or Honda.

The Honda Fit MT is a classic in the making. I love mine even though it is an AT.

I'd dump the FF at 6 months and replace it with Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD 0W20.

You qualify for Severe Service with the short trips I'm guessing, so you have to dump the FF at least at the 6 month mark.

I've used Mobil 1 0W-20 before in our Honda/Acura, and it's run very quiet in both. I currently have the 0W-30 in our Honda just as an experiment, but will go back to a 20 grade at the next oil change. I see nothing wrong with $22 M1 once a year.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The Honda Fit MT is a classic in the making. I love mine even though it is an AT.

I'd dump the FF at 6 months and replace it with Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD 0W20.

You qualify for Severe Service with the short trips I'm guessing, so you have to dump the FF at least at the 6 month mark.
Originally Posted By: walk23
For 1 yr. 4K OCI's the Mobil Super 5000 would be a good choice.

There is no designation for severe service. The manual only says to change the oil in one year if the minder does not get triggered. I will change it before one year if indicated.

I also cannot see going to a lesser oil, Super 5000, and use the incorrect grade, I do not want to give Honda an excuse for not honoring the warranty.

Suppose I can see how the M1 works in the 2012 auto Fit before I have to commit. Wanted to make sure the FF for about 4k was good and would be ready for a synthetic.

Thank you for all of the comments!

Originally Posted By: Doog

NEVER on a Honda. They have high moly assembly lube in the FF and it should be run to at least 20% or 5000 miles. All other vehicles I drop the FF at 1000-1500 miles and use one fill of conventional to 5000 then go full synthetic.**

Considering 50% on a Honda Fit will be like 5k miles. My point is valid.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Considering 50% on a Honda Fit will be like 5k miles. My point is valid.

Your point is always valid, brother. 5k isn't that long, though. I would have no problem running it out for the normal duration, maybe changing it early at 20%.

I am the original poster. I am still running this Fit overall as a commuter car and hit about 5,000 miles (40 - 50% OLM) a year.
I change the oil once a year with M1 EP 0w-20 and a Fram XG. I only have about 39k on it and I get about 34 MPG.
Zero problems.

Just do fluid changes and installed Michelin Pilot Sports, the rest is dead stock.

Back