Linux Mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.linuxmint.com/

Linux Mint 15 has been released.

Alternative to Ubuntu for people who want a more familiar interface and who do not want to track down codec packages, non OSS.

May give a test in the VirtualBox and then a full install.

No cost, no tiled interface debacle.

Last edited:
pro tip, if one gets unetbootin they can boot up a "live cd ISO" off their normally fast hard drive and play with different distros insanely easily. Unetbootin works under windows, linux, mac OSX...

Trying to figure out which of the two versions might be better for me. I realize Cinnamon has a more modern GUI, alas, it also seems to be more resource intensive. Considering that my old netbook only has 1GB RAM, a slow CPU and a very weak Intel graphics card, I think MATE might be the right way to go.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
a USB stick (preferably USB 3), Linux Mint, and Unetbutin makes for a quick 'n easy PC just about anywhere.

+1 - I have one set up as a throwaway OS. I am using the Cinnamon version and really like it. I guess I need to download the latest version
grin.gif

I have an old build of Linux Mint on an old laptop. Works great for basic browsing if I needed a backup. Windows XP takes 2 weeks to start up on there and I don't feel like fixing it.

I've been meaning to give Mint a try again. Been runnin Debian on the netbook the past 2 years or so. I used Mint probably 4 or 5 years ago when in college when Ubuntu went to that nuts Unity interface

Installed it as a dual-boot on my Lenovo notebook. Alas, I couldn't figure out how to adjust screen brightness while in Mint. The function keys no longer worked.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Trying to figure out which of the two versions might be better for me. I realize Cinnamon has a more modern GUI, alas, it also seems to be more resource intensive. Considering that my old netbook only has 1GB RAM, a slow CPU and a very weak Intel graphics card, I think MATE might be the right way to go.
Yeah, even then Mate might bog, if so, install one of the very lightweight WMs available for Mint; or try Bodhi linux.

Yeah, another member suggested that I go with LXDE or XFCE version instead. Mint 14 has an XFCE version, so I might try that instead.

Yeah, another member suggested that I go with LXDE or XFCE version instead. Mint 14 has an XFCE version, so I might try that instead.

I'm dual booting Mint 13 XFCE on a netbook, and I like it.

I might actually try Linux Mint out just to be different,BUT we use MagicJack for our phone service and that wont work with Linux so,it's out of the question.

So I'll stick with Windows operating system.

When you have it installed as a dual-boot (two OS systems on the same HDD), does it run any slower than if you just had it installed as one single boot?

When you have it installed as a dual-boot (two OS systems on the same HDD), does it run any slower than if you just had it installed as one single boot?

I've dual-booted a few machines over the years, and haven't noticed a difference.

Alas, I couldn't figure out how to adjust screen brightness while in Mint. The function keys no longer worked.

I thought I was the only one with such bad luck. My brightness keys work and bring up the dialog with the brightness adjustment bar--however, it doesn't seem to be adjusting the brightness at all whichever adjustment it is set to--all have the same apparent screen brightness.

I'm still running Mint 14 nadia; thinking about trying Mint 15, but maybe will poke around distrowatch and see if something else is worth trying.

antiX looks interesting too, http://jponline.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Linux-For-Old-Computer#slide7483659

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back