Since when did steelies..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start costing so much? Wow, I'm not sure if it is scrap value or what, but it is silly, that is for sure....

I've got to bent steelies on my Cobalt. They're not horrible, but I'm making a about 550 mile round trip out of state next month. Even have a cracked wheel cover, but that is no big deal here in pothole land.....

I've called around, including junkyards, and the cheapest I've seen (so far) is around 90 bucks! Both local chains (Discount, Belle) carry them new, but say they are universal, and do not allow my current GM wheel covers to stay on.

I'm still researching here, but anyone have some good ideas? I don't want a whole new set of rims here for a beater car....

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are they a common pattern like 4x100 or a wierd one like 105?

A 15 inch four lugger....thought it was pretty common. For a base chevy cobalt...

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
The local u-pull-it places in these parts sell steelies for five buck each - with a tire it's 15 - 20 bucks depending on size.

My bad, I just checked their website, local u-pull-it places have gone up to ten dollars a piece for steel wheels. Check your area for "u-pull-it" and you might find something similar.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Don't feel bad, the steel wheels for the new Foci are $190 each MSRP.

The wreckers are pricing their wheels against the stealerships. Go into a local wrecker with tools and ask what the cash price is for steel wheels, 4x100 15's, don't mention a specific car and you'll go get them. I bet the price will be more reasonable then.

LKQ Self Service Auto Parts - Grand Rapids
4676 Division Ave. South
Wayland, Michigan 49348

I don't know if this is close to where you live, but it will give you and idea for prices at least. I checked their price list, 16 and over is 19.99, 15 or less is 10 bucks.

If you're willing to go online, you might have luck searching for "genuine chevrolet parts" and finding a dealer that hosts one of the sites.

I looked at RockAuto and they were going for $75 before the 5% discount and shipping.

Last edited:
$103 each is a lot of money! I bought a set of aftermarket wheels with two-season-old Blizzaks (all four corners) for $450 two winters ago.

I got my OEM Enkeis with barely used OEM Dunlops for $1200 (750, including the $450 I got selling my base wheels and tires.)

Deals can be had if you don't limit yourself to searching by make.

I ordered steel wheels for my 2010 Mazda 3 from Costco.ca last December. Hubcentric - awesome quality.

Checked on the Cobalt and hubcentrics are $41.99.
Code X40899. Not OEM but I have no doubts on the quality.

Not sure if USA Costco have same product offering.

http://www.costco.ca/Steel-Wheels,-Home-Delivery-Only.product.100018256.html

Last edited:
Jukyards around here charge $15 for a 15'' steel wheel and $20 for a 16'' steel wheel.

There's a million cars with 4x100 and cool wheels in the junkyard ... unfortunately Ford used one of their oddball bolt patterns on the Focus and I'm limited to just a few Fords.

Yes they are getting real expensive. I just had to buy one for a Toyota and couldn't find a used one. $120 for a plain old steel wheel and over $100 for the plastic hub cap.
I expected at least a small tube of Vaseline with these items but no luck.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Start costing so much? Wow, I'm not sure if it is scrap value or what, but it is silly, that is for sure....

I've got to bent steelies on my Cobalt. They're not horrible, but I'm making a about 550 mile round trip out of state next month. Even have a cracked wheel cover, but that is no big deal here in pothole land.....

I've called around, including junkyards, and the cheapest I've seen (so far) is around 90 bucks! Both local chains (Discount, Belle) carry them new, but say they are universal, and do not allow my current GM wheel covers to stay on.

I'm still researching here, but anyone have some good ideas? I don't want a whole new set of rims here for a beater car....

Should of pony'd up for alloys... Last i remember there about $60 at discount tire or you can go to a junk yard and get rhem for less than 20 a pop just make sure you have the corect lug diameter.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Discount Tire Direct sells new steelies cheap.

but many of them arent hubcentric if that matters.

I had some that wobbled and some that didnt

and I tightened finger tight in the air.. then small ratchet.. then final tighten on the ground.

Ended up sending one set back and getting a set from tirerack because DTD didnt carry hubcentric steelies in my application.

DTD did provide excellent customer service.. paid all shipping and full refund.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Some people prefer steel wheels.

If I could find a decent set of not-rusted steel wheels for my focus, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I do...the steelies tend to hold up better on the roads here. They stop making the aftermarket ones after a while....then I'd be screwed...
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back