Ultra and Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: kajunman
Assuming that break-in occurred during the last 10 or so model years, neither meets the specification for Ford's manufacturer's warranty, so I'd say they were equally bad.

Well, Ford's own oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend. I am concerned about shearing with this oil, which would leave me with a 5W-10 durlng the oil change cycle. I am going to change to a Penzoil Ultra 5W-30. If I can get my local Penzoil distributor to get me some Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that's what I going to try.

Your post is a bit confusing to me? Is the underlined part something you are posting or is it a quote?

The 1st thing is RP API SN 5W20 meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and carries the API starburst per the requirements for the 2013 Focus owner's manaul( page 307 online PDF from Ford site ). Not sure what year your Focus is so not sure on what oil weight and exact Ford rating it requires but Ford has used 5W20 for a while now. I went with the newest Focus info however just to have the most up to date info. RP API SN 5W30 also meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A FWIW.

RP API SN PDS - http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

Pennzoil Ultra only shows it meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A in 5W30( different spec for 5W20 ).

If this is a vehicle still under warranty do not go with 5W40. Run the spec'd weight. Actually, I wouldn't run a 40 weight in any Focus as they will most likel be spec'd for 5W20 or possibly 5W30. 40 weight is too thick.

Ultra 5w/20 meets WSS-m2c945-a, which is what Ford specifies for almost all of its non-turbo vehicles. Ultra 5w/30 meets WSS-m2c946-a. In other words, Ford requires a 5w/20 oil. Using a 5w/30, 10w/30, 5w/40, etc. risks compromising the OP's warranty.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Assuming that break-in occurred during the last 10 or so model years, neither meets the specification for Ford's manufacturer's warranty, so I'd say they were equally bad.

Well, Ford's own oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend. I am concerned about shearing with this oil, which would leave me with a 5W-10 durlng the oil change cycle. I am going to change to a Penzoil Ultra 5W-30. If I can get my local Penzoil distributor to get me some Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that's what I going to try.

Your post is a bit confusing to me? Is the underlined part something you are posting or is it a quote?

The 1st thing is RP API SN 5W20 meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and carries the API starburst per the requirements for the 2013 Focus owner's manaul( page 307 online PDF from Ford site ). Not sure what year your Focus is so not sure on what oil weight and exact Ford rating it requires but Ford has used 5W20 for a while now. I went with the newest Focus info however just to have the most up to date info. RP API SN 5W30 also meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A FWIW.

RP API SN PDS - http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

Pennzoil Ultra only shows it meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A in 5W30( different spec for 5W20 ).

If this is a vehicle still under warranty do not go with 5W40. Run the spec'd weight. Actually, I wouldn't run a 40 weight in any Focus as they will most likel be spec'd for 5W20 or possibly 5W30. 40 weight is too thick.

Ultra 5w/20 meets WSS-m2c945-a, which is what Ford specifies for almost all of its non-turbo vehicles. Ultra 5w/30 meets WSS-m2c946-a. In other words, Ford requires a 5w/20 oil. Using a 5w/30, 10w/30, 5w/40, etc. risks compromising the OP's warranty.

The Ultra website must have an error then. They show 45 for 5W30 and 46 for 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Danh

The Ultra website must have an error then. They show 45 for 5W30 and 46 for 5W20.

Pennzoil is notoriously bad at keeping its website up-to-date. A better source for all Shell product info is epc.shell.com.

What is the danger of Penzoil Ulra 5W-20 shearing to 5W-10?

Take a look a UOAs here. I posted one last December with Ultra 5w/20 in a 2012 Focus. While the OCI was not long, oil shear was virtually non-existent.

Assuming you don't have an ST Focus (which specifies 5w/30), try a run of 5w/20 as Ford recommends and get a used oil analysis to see for yourself.

What is the danger of Penzoil Ulra 5W-20 shearing to 5W-10?

Whomever says that a 5W20 will shear to a 10 grade oil under normal everyday use would say also say there is 5 lights when there are only 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back