Ultra and Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Ah, the rampant lunacy that an RP thread brings out on BITOG. You just have to laugh.
crackmeup2.gif

Let's review the RP histoory here...

When API SM came out and replaced SL RP refused to reformulate to meet the new standard w/ lower ZDDP because they felt it would lower the quality of their product. BITOG members beat up on them like an old west lynch mob for that decision and said SM was a superior oil and they needed to get with the times. The entire time API SM was the current standard RP was repeatedly beat up on for not reformmulating the more popular weights to meet it and their SL formula was called inferior to the average name brand SM oils.

When API SN came out RP reformulated their oils so they could offer an oil that meets current warranty standards for new cars with their new API Certified line. They did exactly what people like the bashers on BITOG hollered for them to do! However, to achieve ceritification to API SN they had no choice but to remove their signature additive( Synerlec )or they could not meet the standard. Now the bashers are beating up on them for lowering the quality of their oil.

When they refuse to reformulate thhey are wrong and when they do reformulate they are also wrong. Doesn't sound to me like they can win at all with these people no matter what they do.

Valvoline Synpower and the Napa synthetic from Ashland which is similar are highly regarded oils here at BITOG. You almost never hear anything bad about them and they are recommended all the time. However, when RP is compared to those oils suddenly they are nothing special and overhyped and such. If the new RP SN stuff truly is the same as Synpower that means it is a very good oil but some here at BITOG would rather shoot their dog than ever give RP and ounce of credit.

The people on this site are flat out a riot at times. This thread is a classic example of the RP hate and bashing that is just so unfounded and hypocritical it isn't even funny. I sometimes wonder if people even think for 1/2 a second what they are actually saying when they beat up on RP?

RP refuses to reformulate to API SM, which required removal of their signature additive, so it was a "bad" oil. The SL stuff was trashed as not good and SM would be better.

RP reformulates to API SN, but has to remove it's signature additive to do so, yet it is still a "bad" oil? They come out with the HPS line that retains their Synerlec additive for those who want it. Now the same people who trashed RP for not changing to SM because it was better than the SL stuff are now trashing them for going to SN and claim the old SL stuff and/or the HPS oils are the good stuff. WHAT????
21.gif
33.gif
21.gif

RP is now being compared to Valvoline and Napa oils which are always talked of highly UNLESS RP is said to be similar and then they aren't very good. Valvoline = good. Valvoline and RP similar = bad/overhyped. HUH????

The people on here have to make you laugh. There is just nothing else you can do but laugh. API SN is API SN. I don't understand why anyone thinks RP API SN is somehow inferior to other API SN oils. They all are going to be the same basic stuff. You can't have Synerlec in an SN oil so why try and compare the new SN oils from RP to their old SL stuff or the new HPS line? It's nuts to do so.

The masses on BITOG raised cain for years about how RP should reformulate to meet current API standards as it would make their oil better. When they do just that BITOG still trashes them. Just shows the real nature of those here who beat up on it. They beat up on it for reasons other than the product itself.

Of course the whole price thing has to come in all the time which is just so ridiculous it is not funny. RP is not sold in 5 qt jugs at WalMart like other oils are. You can't use that against them. Qt bottle vs Qt bottle price the cost is within $1 of each other so RP SN is NOT over priced. If you shop around and buy on deals I have shown RP can be had for the same, or even less than, those 5 qt WM jugs. That is even discredited.

You just can not get a fair and reasonable review of RP on this site. Too many with a massive bias and agenda to ever do so. The most hillarious part is most of those who's mission in life is to bash RP at every opportunity have never used it. Now that right there is laughable.
crackmeup2.gif

Who ever said valvoline or napa were bad oils? You should know everyone on here says those oils aren't long OCI oils and a great oil for shorter OCIs due to TBN retention. Unless you buy the high performance oils, why would you spend over double for an oil that has almost an identical additive package? Compared quart to quart its still $2/qt higher than most any oil here as its 8.47/qt here. Since I cant buy it in 5qt jugs, it is over priced for what you get. I also noted that the additive package was due to being SN. Where did I bash on RP, you were taking info from my post and calling it bashing? Whats wrong with comparing oils that are very similar? Whats laughable is you getting your panties in a bunch....

Originally Posted By: volk06
Since I cant buy it in 5qt jugs, it is over priced for what you get.

Are you sure? That may just be a local thing for you. The 5 quart jugs are listed as an available size on their website, and I've seen them in the flesh, as it were, up here.

I've seen 5qt jugs, but not in every viscosity.

I think Royal Purple bashing is largely dead around here. Most members acknowledge it as another solid choice, albeit an expensive one.

I've been looking for a retailer for Pennzoil Ultra locally, after reviewing the forums. Amazon has Royal Purple 5.1 quart jug for $42.52 and Ultra $50.15 both 5W 30 with free shipping.

After grueling searching locally I found Wally World 20 miles away carries Ultra 5 quart jug for $26.97..I was shocked to see Ultra more expensive on Amazon than RP....

Wally world is much cheaper.......

Ahh, that makes sense, volk. Our WMs only carred quarts, too. Most don't even have RP any longer. Canadian Tire, Partsource, and the like, however, have RP in quarts and the jugs. And there, RP is definitely a feasible option from a price perspective when compared to the other synthetics.

As you may have gathered from other threads, though, I'm pretty fed up with Walmart. I'm fed up with chasing from location to location to find what I want. I'm fed up with the Walmart experience. And it's time to start supporting local businesses, whose owners might actually support my business.

The oil company distributors are privately owned. They have exactly what I want, every time I want it. They'll have it in any container size actually available for the product. And, they'll sell it to me at a real "everyday low price."

Don't get me wrong. If WM has the $10.88 PYB special, I'm going for it. But their selection sucks, as does their recent stocking practices. And if they're stuff isn't on special, it's priced atrociously high, to the point I would never, ever buy an oil from them that wasn't on special, aside from ST, which truly has a good, everyday low price.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
So, NHHEMI, are you trying to argue that the RP API approved line is an exceptional value? Are you suggesting that in most of the country, most people can routinely obtain RP at a price that is similar to the mainstream brands? Are you suggesting that the RP API line produces measurable benefits over the mainstream API oils?

My guess, and I know that I am guessing (I am not accusing), is that your answer to all of those questions is "no" and that your point is that you think that RP is being discussed unfairly.

RP is being discussed unfairly.

Correct for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Capa
I hear Royal Purple has changed ownership and judging from PQIA's latest test, it seems that they have slipped even more.

Okay, I kept silent until now. This thread has had complaints that the old SL RP had too much sulfur. Now, the regular RP is SN (and GF-5 in the appropriate grades), and it's slipped?

RP still has the high sulfur content (Synerlec additive) oils and also the latest API oils. What else do you want?

And if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Personally, my price on Royal Purple absolutely obliterates Walmart's "everyday low prices" on synthetics. And where Royal Purple is sold here on the same shelves as the major synthetics (for a fair comparison), the price is fair, somewhere between M1 and M1 EP (or Castrol Syntec and Syntec with Titanium, if you prefer). As for Pennzoil Ultra, that hardly qualifies as a real product up here.

For shame. Using reason and common sense to talk about RP. Your BITOG membership should be cancelled. Also, how dare you mention RP( API line )is priced the same as the name brand oils in places other than WalMart when sold in qt bottles. Heresy I say. You should be burned at the stake. We all know you ONLY buy oils sold in 5 qt jugs at WalMart or your are stupid.

Last edited:
ive used RP when pepboys had their sale. i liked it and i would not hesitate to use it again.

NHHEMI is correct the price is on par with everything else except 5qt walmart jugs. even at my walmart a qt of synpower is 7.27 and a qt of RP SN is 8.17. less than a dollar difference. that IS competitive pricing IMO.

An i guarantee if RP started selling 5qt jugs at WM for 25-30$ everyone here would praise it and buy it up constantly.

i would bet if i opened a thread and invited all you fellow BITOG ers to raid my stash and take 5qt's of what ever you want i bet the 5 qt's of RP SN i have would be one of the very first bottles you guys would snatch up. you would leave the QSUD and EDGE for the next guy and grab the RP.

RP is just as good as anything else on the shelf. if it wasnt as good it wouldn't hold the same GF5 SN symbol. if RP ever puts 5qt jugs of SN at walmarts for under 30$ you can bet i will run it exclusively, and many more of you would too.

Whats laughable is you getting your panties in a bunch....

When you listen to people constantly trashing a product you have used for YEARS with nothing but myths, rumors, 1/2 truths, and out right lies it tends to get to you. Even more so when you are called dumb for using it. If you constantly had a product you used belittled and thus you were being belittled by assosciation you too would have bunched up shorts.

Let's not even talk about how some here use every opportunity to throw digs in at the product and those who use it at every possible chance. Ask about RP oil filters and you get 10 guys chiming in right off about how bad RP oil is. Talk about the new RP fuel cleaner and you see people coming out of the wood work with the same old [censored] about price, and color, etc... yet the fact it is a goood product, they haven't used, means nothing. Heck, people take digs at RP here even when RP has no relation to the topic in any shape or form.

I wouldn't use M1 if it was free yet I don't go around saying it is [censored], overhyped, etc... nor do I berate those who do use it. I just don't discuss it as I have nothing constructive to add. I will say use it if the person asks about it and it meets their needs but that is where I leave it alone. Would be nice to see others do the same. Especially those with no actual use experience who do nothing but talk out of their lower orafices.

The constant RP bashing on this site gets old and lots of times it comes across as an assault on those who do use it. I respect the rights of people to use what they wish. There is no respect for RP users on this site however. NONE!

Last edited:
Whats laughable is you getting your panties in a bunch....

When you listen to people constantly trashing a product you have used for YEARS with nothing but myths, rumors, 1/2 truths, and out right lies it tends to get to you. Even more so when you are called dumb for using it. If you constantly had a product you used belittled and thus you were being belittled by assosciation you too would have bunched up shorts.

Let's not even talk about how some here use every opportunity to throw digs in at the product and those who use it at every possible chance. Ask about RP oil filters and you get 10 guys chiming in right off about how bad RP oil is. Talk about the new RP fuel cleaner and you see people coming out of the wood work with the same old [censored] about price, and color, etc... yet the fact it is a goood product, they haven't used, means nothing. Heck, people take digs at RP here even when RP has no relation to the topic in any shape or form.

I wouldn't use M1 if it was free yet I don't go around saying it is [censored], overhyped, etc... nor do I berate those who do use it. I just don't discuss it as I have nothing constructive to add. I will say use it if the person asks about it and it meets their needs but that is where I leave it alone. Would be nice to see others do the same. Especially those with no actual use experience who do nothing but talk out of their lower orafices.

The constant RP bashing on this site gets old and lots of times it comes across as an assault on those who do use it. I respect the rights of people to use what they wish. There is no respect for RP users on this site however. NONE!

I can understand where your frustration is coming from.

Also, how dare you mention RP( API line )is priced the same as the name brand oils in places other than WalMart when sold in qt bottles. Heresy I say. You should be burned at the stake. We all know you ONLY buy oils sold in 5 qt jugs at WalMart or your are stupid.

He he! Actually, I haven't seen RP at our Walmarts for a few months. Canadian Tire and Partsource have RP, and in quarts and 5 quart jugs. The only regular priced synthetic I'd ever consider buying at either of those two places (or WM, for that matter) would be RP anyhow. Any of the name brands can be hand much cheaper elsewhere, when looking at regular prices.

To add to the BITOG heresy of my posts, I announce from the rooftops that Walmart is a dump. And I'm being kind, since my real opinion won't make it through the censor filter.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That really shouldn't be forgotten, either. No matter how good a product is (or, equal to everything else because they all meet specs and will do the job wonderfully), if you're not happy with it, you shouldn't be using it. That might be an emotional reason, but if you're not happy, don't use it.
wink.gif

Good advice for all.

Well, now my undergarments are entangled.

I am going to suggest to NHHEMI that the word "NONE" doesn't mean what he appears to think that it means.

If anyone thinks that EVERY member here has shown NHHEMI and/or RP disrespect, then they have not been paying attention. The word "NONE" excludes us all from the set that has respected his point of view or RP. I think that there are a handful that chime-in negatively on most topics. This thread has been viewed over 1800 times at this point. What proportion of those views resulted in a negative response?

By the way, if M1 were free and a person could not find a use for it, I would suggest that think about it for a little longer.

I've had great luck with royal purple. 5W-30 for car and truck. Try for deals when I can find them. right now I'm good till 2014. just started using the filters too. have stretched out my OCI's too.

Assuming that break-in occurred during the last 10 or so model years, neither meets the specification for Ford's manufacturer's warranty, so I'd say they were equally bad.

Well, Ford's own oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend. I am concerned about shearing with this oil, which would leave me with a 5W-10 durlng the oil change cycle. I am going to change to a Penzoil Ultra 5W-30. If I can get my local Penzoil distributor to get me some Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that's what I going to try.

Originally Posted By: kajunman
Assuming that break-in occurred during the last 10 or so model years, neither meets the specification for Ford's manufacturer's warranty, so I'd say they were equally bad.

Well, Ford's own oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend. I am concerned about shearing with this oil, which would leave me with a 5W-10 durlng the oil change cycle. I am going to change to a Penzoil Ultra 5W-30. If I can get my local Penzoil distributor to get me some Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that's what I going to try.

Your post is a bit confusing to me? Is the underlined part something you are posting or is it a quote?

The 1st thing is RP API SN 5W20 meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and carries the API starburst per the requirements for the 2013 Focus owner's manaul( page 307 online PDF from Ford site ). Not sure what year your Focus is so not sure on what oil weight and exact Ford rating it requires but Ford has used 5W20 for a while now. I went with the newest Focus info however just to have the most up to date info. RP API SN 5W30 also meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A FWIW.

RP API SN PDS - http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

Pennzoil Ultra only shows it meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A in 5W30( different spec for 5W20 ).

If this is a vehicle still under warranty do not go with 5W40. Run the spec'd weight. Actually, I wouldn't run a 40 weight in any Focus as they will most likel be spec'd for 5W20 or possibly 5W30. 40 weight is too thick.

Last edited:

33.gif

So much RP discussion in this thread, that no one has had time to give the OP good advice!

Stick to what the owners manual recommends during your warranty period. MotorCraft 5w20 is an excellent oil. Any 5w20 will serve you well (dino, syn, blend) and your engine will outlast the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

33.gif

So much RP discussion in this thread, that no one has had time to give the OP good advice!

Stick to what the owners manual recommends during your warranty period. MotorCraft 5w20 is an excellent oil. Any 5w20 will serve you well (dino, syn, blend) and your engine will outlast the vehicle.

I pointed out that RP API SN meets all current Ford requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back