How do you fight the urge to buyanew set of tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a set of tires that I think will be perfect for my style of driving (in Manhattan NYC, terrible roads, potholes, dips, valleys, etc.)

It's a set of the newly released Kumho Sense (no reviews yet!) but it looks just right for me, in the size 205/65/15, it's the lightest tire in its class and it's so cheap, at only 69 dollars per.

My current tires have about 2 years of tread left, it's in the size 195/60/15. I can use the extra sidewall for more ground clearance and more shock absorption.

It's not a good idea to stock up on tires since they age..

Last edited:
i would keep them since a majorflat could require new tires. U need 4 tires so, it costs $280 + install.balance.disposal (x4), not $69. (cost consideration). i have Kumho good on paper were "ok" in real life. Unless u used b4 u dont know,
they could b worse.

Last edited:
If it helps the Chinese tire tariff recently expired and prices are coming down.

If it confuses you though you never know when protectionism will strike again.

I'd sit on the sidelines and see how they wear for other drivers.

If my tires are not yet at wear bars or 2/32's " I typically will not change them out and just be cautious in wet weather and never drive in snow at that tread depth.

At around 330 dollars each tire it is easy for me to wait a bit longer.

But for some reason mine seem to wear out really fast...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it helps the Chinese tire tariff recently expired and prices are coming down.

If it confuses you though you never know when protectionism will strike again.

I'd sit on the sidelines and see how they wear for other drivers.

X2. I'd just wait and let other people be the guinea pigs. Maybe they won't always be $69 a tire, but they probably won't go up much.

I only look into replacing tires as needed though, never replaced a set that was totally fine. I have replaced tires that still had good tread life, but they were very loud (Kelly Safari on my old Explorer). In my case though, I run size 235/75R15...good 'ol 'Murica truck tires. I can always get a set of junky, but new Goodyear Wrangler Radials for under $400 installed, and if I want something nice the options are almost limitless.

If you don't yet need tires, don't buy them.
There will be another tire you like at a deal price two years from now, maybe even something better.
Even if you like these Kumhos, why not wait for a body of user reviews to stack up so that you can see how well these tires do in actual use?

Originally Posted By: armos
I just look at my bank account.

This

I'm a tire [censored] too... but this works every 6 months or so when I am looking.

Neighborhood tire shop, the only employee is the shop owner. I asked him if the 2 old tires are still safe. He answered yes.

and this

Ha! I won't buy a tire until its PAST being needed, LOL. I know its bad, but I run 'em way too long on my trucks. Then, I only buy used ones for $25-$30 installed, LOL.

New ones are only for the family Van, our Honda Odyssey. No "urges" here!

I don't. Yeah, it does cost me to mount/balance ontop of tires.

After 2-3 years, depending when it get's to medium trad 6/32 - I often will just buy new ones and flip the old ones on Craigslist. I do notice the difference, and tires to me are a very important component of the vehicle.

Yeah. I'm that guy.
And I only wear summer shows and winter shoes. No all seasons...

I replace them for the rainy season here in FLA...if I've gotten through the rainy/hurricane season I'll wait for the wear bars to show...

I replace tires at 3-4/32 depending on the time of year. Most of my tires cost $100 each. So the last 10% of tread is worth $10 per tire. My insurance deductible is $1000. So I can get 2 sets of brand new tires for the price of an accident.

Last edited:
At somewhere between $600-$800 a set for mine..the bank account trick does it for me...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

THIS!

Yup. Works for fending off the urge to buy a new car as well.

I just think about what else I could buy for $4-500... A nice .22 rifle comes to mind. Then I don't buy anything...
Also I've been buying used tires lately. They seem to hold air like new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back