carbon fiber bike frame lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure researched about this; i want to hear some opinions from people with automotive background in regards to bicycle application of CF material?

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Carbon fiber isn't normally used in the automotive field.

I hope you're joking. BMW M3 coupe has a carbon fibre roof. Nissan 350Z had a carbon fibre drive shaft. Heck, my car has huge pieces of carbon fibre for interior trim.

I could go on and on...

say example, under 2000$ Trek has CF bike; under 1300$ Fuji has CF bike too. Wonder if the quslity are good. Say Felt are 3500$ and up...
Wonder if worth that much. Groupset is not being considered, just the frame....

There are many different ways to weave carbon fibre, and different grades. I would assume that the more expensive bikes are using tighter weaves (stronger) and/or better grades of it.

in general you get what you paid.
cheap cf bikes has low grade or no-name groups. such bikes are as heavy as good AL bike with full shimdura ace group
unfdortunately the price of those two bike will be the same.
about lobgitivity - i have Giant TCR bike from 1996 - and carbon fork is still as good as new

Originally Posted By: miro
in general you get what you paid.
cheap cf bikes has low grade or no-name groups. such bikes are as heavy as good AL bike with full shimdura ace group
unfdortunately the price of those two bike will be the same.
about lobgitivity - i have Giant TCR bike from 1996 - and carbon fork is still as good as new

one of the newer trends is people buying chinese carbon frames and building up say... a Chinorello, for a fraction of the price, and people enjoying their bikes.

I was talking to a CAT1 racer at a crit.... he seems to love his Chinorello with chinese carbon hoops.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-f...0-a-241785.html

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-f...0-a-272806.html

A friend professionally races on a carbon fiber road frame. The only problem he's had is when the factory built his steerer tube too light and it broke... twice
eek.gif

It's used extensively in aircraft.

I had an old Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon fiber bike. After about 30,000 miles and 10 years including many club races, I felt the frame get soft though it never broke. I weigh 195 pounds. This was rolled carbon fiber. The new ply oriented high compaction carbon fiber is waaaaay better and will last much longer. If you want a frame to last virtually forever, try Titanium. Though I would not hesitate to get a carbon bike, and I thrash on bikes.

Originally Posted By: miro

Yes, the regular 'wear and tear' road forces/bumps/etc. fatique cycles of modern, latest and greatest carbon fiber composites are MUCH greater than even the best metallic frame materials (and this coming from a high quality, hand built, titanium frame owner), but, as has been stated not so much for crashes (ones even $5K-$12k+ carbon composite frame becomes an expensive pile of junk at that point
frown.gif
).

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I was talking to a CAT1 racer at a crit.... he seems to love his Chinorello with chinese carbon hoops.

I thought that at this point in time one could ONLY have 'hoops' sourced from either the Sino mainland, or Taiwan, even if they have; Campagnolo, Mavic, Enve, etc., etc. written ALL over them??
21.gif

The early CF frames had issues with corrosion on metal inserts and parts. Due to electrolysis. Today, an inert epoxy is used wherever there is a carbon-to-metal interface, to prevent this corrosion.

The bottom brackets would, over time, come loose due to this.

However, I understand that there are still cheap CF frames with this problem.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I thought that at this point in time one could ONLY have 'hoops' sourced from either the Sino mainland, or Taiwan, even if they have; Campagnolo, Mavic, Enve, etc., etc. written ALL over them??
21.gif

Enve and Zipp rims are made in the US. I think Mavic's carbon wheels are made in France. So, not ALL carbon stuff is coming from China.

That said, my team provided me with a Chinese carbon frame, and I have almost 20K miles on it with no problems. It's been crashed more times than I'd like to remember and no issues--though there's probably some luck involved there. This is its 3rd year, and I'll get a new one next season--because nothing lasts forever... From what I've seen, >95% of guys are racing on carbon bikes, at least at the upper level. I saw a guy racing an aluminum frame this weekend and remembered thinking "man, I haven't seen one of those in a long time".

The Santa Cruz testing is impressive, but I'm still not sold on carbon for MTB. While it may hold up to extreme forces, it's also less impact-resistance from sharp objects. Plus, if I dent my steel frame I can still ride out of the woods. Then again, if I raced off-road I'd probably consider a carbon frame as a race-only rig.

The ONLY time I've seen cat. 1/international pro riders use aluminum alloy frames recently is at the Valley Preferred Velodrome in Trexlertown, Pa. (forever known as T-Town to those who have ridden it, watch races there from the beginning
wink.gif
).

MANY of those Ozzie, Kiwi, U.S., etc. pro riders use Dolan and Van Dessel alloy track frames to race to victory upon.

My guess is that they love the rigidity/snap power transfer during 'jumps' (start of a sprint/attack for those not in the know) of these oval section tubed frames, and do not need, nor care about the 'ride quality' given the billiard table top smooth surface upon which they are racing.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Carbon fiber isn't normally used in the automotive field.

*cough*Ferrari*cough*Lambo*wheeze*Lexus LFA*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back