Leave a car running while refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Also,most stations post signs saying "Shut off engine before fueling" - I really don't care

Up here, if the clerk is paying the least bit of attention (and they often are), they'll just disable the pump from the cashier station.

It's hard to get away with it here with DRLs and visible exhaust in winter.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

The real problem is people are too polite to inform those who do this of this fact.

No, because the know-it-all jerks who perpetrate acts that blatantly disregard established or offical rules may also be the type to get in your face, or at the very least ignore you out of spite anyway.

In other words, people who do reckless or stupid things are usually aware that they're doing something wrong, and their personal gain outweighs their risk of having some one pick on them.

It seems as if the OP is one of the rare few who just doesn't understand that it's not acceptable to leave the car running while fueling up.

Next, we try to figure out a way to communicate to those with 98% visibility that right-in-front-of-me on the highway isn't the best place to turn your squirters on to remove that on pesky bug splatter on the windshield - well, a way less aggressive than passing them and then turning your squirters on in front of them.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Surely someone will call me a liar or totally insane or perhaps even that I have a death wish, but I actually smoke when I fill my car up with gas. I don't do it all the time, but if I happen to have a cigarette in my mouth, I don't put it out. I've done this for years and no one at any time has ever stopped me or said anything. I do not advise or recommend doing this, but it is a bad habit of mine.

OH NO! lol, Growing up in VA and NC I have seen others smoke many many times while fueling up. I do not do it but I do not freak out if I see others doing it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

The real problem is people are too polite to inform those who do this of this fact.

No, because the know-it-all jerks who perpetrate acts that blatantly disregard established or offical rules may also be the type to get in your face, or at the very least ignore you out of spite anyway.

In other words, people who do reckless or stupid things are usually aware that they're doing something wrong, and their personal gain outweighs their risk of having some one pick on them.

It seems as if the OP is one of the rare few who just doesn't understand that it's not acceptable to leave the car running while fueling up.

Next, we try to figure out a way to communicate to those with 98% visibility that right-in-front-of-me on the highway isn't the best place to turn your squirters on to remove that on pesky bug splatter on the windshield - well, a way less aggressive than passing them and then turning your squirters on in front of them.
wink.gif

I DO NOT CARE if it is acceptable. Neither is picking your nose but we all do it. the only thing I want to know is how MY 2004 SATURN ION 5 speed with no one in it is going to combust or start rolling. thats it, nothing else. And 4 billion to one odds are not going to change the arguement. I want some darn facts. Now I am going to watch that youtube vid that someone posted.

I DO NOT CARE if it is acceptable. Neither is picking your nose but we all do it.

Except that picking your nose is not illegal, last time I checked.

Also, you picking your nose is unlikely to endanger anyone, other than maybe induce nausea.
smile.gif

I do it all the time. Yes its illegal nut IMO its safer than starting your car when the starter brushes throw sparks near the ground where the fumes are. Its never tripped a cel yet.

You have to be a monumentally ....

No need to get insulting.

I notice all the fine folks in Canada and the Northeast US saying the car won't heat up much when it's off during a fill up. You've obviously never been in a climate where it's 100*F and 95% humidity with blazing sun, like Richmond, VA where OP is from. I moved from that area last year so I know. The inside of the car can easily go from comfortably cool to way hot in the time it takes to fill up, even if you are on a long trip and all the materials inside have had time to cool down. So OPs question has merit on that part alone. Highly inconvenient if you are on your way to the most important interview of your life.

Yes, it's not as safe to fuel with your engine on, and signs warn against it. IIRC the law was originally made back in the day when manual transmissions outnumbered automatics by a huge margin and e-brakes weren't as reliable; this was to keep vehicles from rolling away as they were being fueled. Today's 90%+ automatic to manual ratio pretty much takes away this reason.

True it could trip a code and may interfere with fuel indication. As far as fuel getting on the hot cat? Well, the cat isn't going to cool that much during a fuel up so not much weight to that argument. And I've seen gasoline poured on a hot exhaust pipe and...no fire.

A larger concern is for kids in the car that might not be secured and could put the vehicle in gear, and also the chance that the vehicle could easily be stolen by someone waiting for just such an opportunity; or both at once with another tragic outcome. Of course I've seen too many times when parents leave their car running with kids inside to go into a convenience store....

I'll end by saying that I've left my vehicle running when fueling -- but only when it was 10 below Fahrenheit; as a good BITOGer I was concerned about what I would be doing to my oil if I shut it down after driving 6 blocks from work to the station on my way home.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
I don't do it... besides, around some parts here, some scum might risk jumping in and trying to take it... passengers or not.
I know one who had his car warming (cold winter), and when he was scraping ice on the back window, his car suddenly drove off. They found it at a high school and it was in the morning about time for kids to go to school, or it just happens where it was abandoned.
It was dark and he didn't see the guy. Such a weird feeling he said seeing your car go without you.

how is it "dangerly stupid"?

What is going to happen? Specifically? See not one person has answered what is going to happen in my 2004 Saturn ION with a 5 speed and no one else in it. BTW, most of my fill ups are in rural areas, almost zero chance of theft.

Never really thought about doing it. It won't cause any damage though. EVAP does not get checked at idle so I dont see how any codes could appear. Ive read about logic that the computer uses to look for a running refuel and will trip a EVAP check ASAP. To look for loose fuel cap, obviously. Thats about it.

What is going to happen? ...

If your brake is set, likely nothing bad will happen.

I wouldn't see it as being a real issue, There's already gas, fumes, hot parts esc esc. there when you were driving the vehicle.

If it would have blown up, it would have already done it maybe even with a full tank while driving. Or you might blow up when running vehicles pulling in or out of the station...

Have you ever thrown a cigarette in a bucket of gas, it does nothing. Its the fumes that are dangerous. And then some with compression...

Cell phones really comon!!! B.S. like a spark from a phone is going to be a hazard.

The actual risk of anything happening is very low. But as with anything written as law, it's about your liability.

I really won't want to be in your shoes, that in the slightest chance a fire starts while you are refuelling with your engine running, burns down the fuel servo, and the surrounding cars and a few lives were lost and others maimed for life.

Imagine the lawsuits. Worse is your insurance company will deny any coverage, because you ignored the rules.

how is it "dangerly stupid"?

What is going to happen? Specifically? See not one person has answered what is going to happen in my 2004 Saturn ION with a 5 speed and no one else in it. BTW, most of my fill ups are in rural areas, almost zero chance of theft.

- If you over fill the gas might get sucked up into the evap and the intake system, which could cause a bad backfire.
- your car or the gas dispenser machine might get hit by another car while refuelling, everybody runs away while fuel is spilled all over and your car is running.
- a dork before you spilled some gas on the ground and you pulled in right after him. The hot exhaust could cause fire as the air reaches the right fuel vapor to air mixture.
- your parking brake fails and your car hits a guy filling up a Jerry can which gets spilled all over the front end of your car with running engine.

All very unlikely scenarios and I'm sure there are dozens more. All it takes is one split second when all the right things combine and you may end up, or more importantly someone else may end up injured or dead.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Surely someone will call me a liar or totally insane or perhaps even that I have a death wish, but I actually smoke when I fill my car up with gas. I don't do it all the time, but if I happen to have a cigarette in my mouth, I don't put it out. I've done this for years and no one at any time has ever stopped me or said anything. I do not advise or recommend doing this, but it is a bad habit of mine.

It is quite possible to put a cigarette out by putting it out in the gasoline...unless there is a spark or static electricity you could get away doing that for years. What won't work without disaster is lighting up with an open flame or creating a spark.

You could probably get away with kicking sleeping lions in the rump a few times too, but sooner or later...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I do it all the time. Yes its illegal nut IMO its safer than starting your car when the starter brushes throw sparks near the ground where the fumes are. Its never tripped a cel yet.

I do this all the time as well. I don't see the big deal, it's not like filling a plastic gas can in a plastic bed liner of a truck...

I DO NOT CARE if it is acceptable. Neither is picking your nose but we all do it.

Can I point a gun at you then? I assure you its not loaded. I mean I won't pull the trigger or anything and I'm sure the safety is on.

I mean seriously, can I? The odds are what, like 4 billion to one I'm wrong and you die because of it. You can trust me right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back