Do my tires look safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know if this tire looks safe.

Done 116,000 km on odo.
Manufactured 2007 (for 2008 car) - so it just got 'officially' expired.

I am very confident about the tread - tread is still good.
I dont know about the sidewalls though.

Asking how safe it looks, because i want to use these till summer ends... use till October or something. (summer = scorching temperatures of 48 deg C)
I drive at speeds of 140 kmph quite often.

So how safe do these look on a scale of 1 to 10.
Its only this tire that concerns to me, all other tires are in good condition, since they are newer.

Images

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fngm0j7tv8apsts/IMG_20130601_144022.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7msaulr8djs1kst/IMG_20130601_144013.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/es467xcrq9j6j4f/IMG_20130601_144005.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n90xb4yfu663j2h/IMG_20130601_143959.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c55fr6jgabm8o2m/IMG_20130601_143955.jpg

Tires look rotten/rotting, think of the searing heat expanding the already cracked tread.
140kmh is equal to about 87mph here. I would definitely replace the tire.

whats a UV protectant?

i can use them on my front tires, which are only a year old.

by the way, all the pictures are for the same tire (my cars rear right hand side tire)

Last edited:
Tire looks like a likely candidate for tread separation. I've had it happen on my Suburban a few times with old tires that had plenty of tread left. Of course I was also hauling a few SBC engines in the back at the time (summer) so there was plenty of load & heat. They gave me a little warning before they let go - significant vibration - so I was able to slow down. A few things you can do - slow down, make sure load on tire is minimal, keep pressure a few pounds high (reduces tread squirm), move it to the least sunny side of the vehicle or away from exhaust side if it has one. (In other words - coolest spot) I wouldn't drive that tire near 90mph personally - maybe 65 max. Replace tire(s) when you can. Avoid creating spectacular newspaper headline.

The sun and heat have cooked those tires , tires would never see highway speeds if i were using them. Really time for replacement.

why do you have 3 of newer and 1 old?

go for matched axle pairs at least.

The tread doesnt look horrid .. the gouge on the sidewall.. looks worse.

I'd say 5/10

Of course with the weather you have over there.. I might feel differently than here.

Looks like your tire is ready for ply separation. There is a reason tires have a seven year replacement recommendation.

although they are better than the originals i have on the Jaguar they should be replaced if you are planning on doing over 40 mph

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Given your likely temperatures in Dubai get rid of them.

+1 Right NOW....
15.gif

I wouldn't run tires like that here never mind in your area with the high heat. IMO change ASAP.

Hehe, i love reading all your replies.
Decided to change soon.
About in 10 days MAX. Most probably

All prepared for emergencies, and how to react just incase something happens. I only use car to travel from home to college and back.

Decided to reduce my driving speeds to 100 kmph (60 mph) until i change. Or i will just avoid highways and take shorter roads which have more traffic - stop and go.
current temps are high's of 41 deg C.

Originally Posted By: Rand
why do you have 3 of newer and 1 old?

go for matched axle pairs at least.

The tread doesnt look horrid .. the gouge on the sidewall.. looks worse.

I'd say 5/10

Of course with the weather you have over there.. I might feel differently than here.

-The front 2 tires are new - DUNLOP
-The rear 2 tires are both TOYO, and both have the same tread pattern. however one is little newer and is less wornout (i have no idea why). this is how the 2nd hand car came.

Thanks for the replies everyone, or else i would have tried to pull this off until october.

Last edited:
And just so people who read this understand:

Tire failures below 35 mph are pretty much non-events

But tire failures at 60 mph can have pretty dramatic results.

If you have a tire issue like the on in this thread, you need to keep the speeds way down.

I have a 1999 car that still has it's original Goodyear Eagle LS tires in it at 38K miles. They look much better than what you posted. Of course the car was garaged for most of it's life.

NEVER PUT NEW TIRES ONLY ON THE FRONT!!! REGARDLESS OF THE DRIVING WHEELS (FWD VS RWD)

IF YOU'RE GONNA CHEAP OUT AND ONLY REPLACE TWO, THEN PUT THEM ON THE REAR

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
NEVER PUT NEW TIRES ONLY ON THE FRONT!!! REGARDLESS OF THE DRIVING WHEELS (FWD VS RWD)

IF YOU'RE GONNA CHEAP OUT AND ONLY REPLACE TWO, THEN PUT THEM ON THE REAR

this is a critical situation.

An year ago, i put 2 new tires, and they had been put in the front.
it has been driven about 14,000 km since i put them, so its time to rotate them and put them in the rear.
so the rear (BAD) tires automatically go in front // thus they get replaced by new tires.

so the new tires have to go in front to follow the tire rotation schedule.

is there a better alternative to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back