oil change interval for bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put amsoil motorcycle 10w 40 in my gz 250 may last year , but only got to ride it about 500 miles. Should i change it out now or would it still be good? this is a carbed bike.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I put amsoil motorcycle 10w 40 in my gz 250 may last year , but only got to ride it about 500 miles. Should i change it out now or would it still be good? this is a carbed bike.

Its fine. I'd leave it.
If your bike requires a 40 grade I suggest rotella conventional 15w-40. I used to use those expensive bike oils and I'm not taking anything away from them however I have 3 shared sump bikes. All of them tell me when the oil needs changing. The top ends get noisy and tap and shifting gets notchy. Rotella lasts longer than the M1 and Amsoil bike oils. And its cheap and meets the JASO spec.
I change the oil in my shared sump bikes at around 3000kms or so. That's when the bikes sound a bit louder and shifting is notchy.

I was a faithful Rotella user in my Shadow but 1000km ago I changed to Amsoil 10-40. The jury is still out whether or not it was money well spent. If I only get 3k like Clevy, then it will be back to Rotella.

If you had a filterless bike like a CMX250 Rebel, you'd probably want a shorter interval like 1500-2000 miles, but IIRC, the GZ250 uses a small cartridge filter. The capacity in the CMX is only about a quart and a half so short intervals aren't too costly

Even air-cooled/shared sump engines with a filter should be good for at least 3000 miles with Amsoil. Maybe more.

I used to run 2k miles in my Yamaha Virago 250cc. I used Purolator or K&N cartridge filters. Oil was usually Rotella 15w40 in spring/fall and Mobil 20w50 V Twin in summer.

Unless you have evidence of high fuel dilution or some other issue, the oil will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Rotella lasts longer than the M1 and Amsoil bike oils

No it doesn't. I know many here like Rotella for the price but in a shearing sump, it will shear faster than good synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

No it doesn't. I know many here like Rotella for the price but in a shearing sump, it will shear faster than good synthetic oils.

so you are saying that amsoil is not a good synthetic then.

out of 4 tests on amsoil motorcycle oil, i have 3 that sheared out of grade and 1 that did not.

out of 6 tests of hdeo's i have 6 that stayed in grade and none that sheared out of grade. all of these tests were as long if not longer than the amsoil that sheared out of grade.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Lets get ready to Rumble!!!!!!!

35.gif
36.gif

Unless you have evidence of high fuel dilution or some other issue, the oil will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Rotella lasts longer than the M1 and Amsoil bike oils

I'm not going to argue as I have no actual data to confirm my claim,all I have is me riding the bikes,and shifting became notchy,faster when using Amsoil mc 10w-40 and M1 mc 10w-40 then when I use rotella.
I'm an Amsoil fan here so I'm not a hater whatsoever,and let me also say I've got a great many quarts of Amsoil bike oil in all 3 flavours,I'm just relaying my personal experiences with all 3 products.
I am an M1 hater though.

As far as data goes I will defer to sunruh. He has forgotten more about bikes and bike oils than I will ever know,and I consider his experience and word gospel when it comes to bike oils. So if he writes it,you can count on it to be true.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

so you are saying that amsoil is not a good synthetic then.

out of 4 tests on amsoil motorcycle oil, i have 3 that sheared out of grade and 1 that did not.

out of 6 tests of hdeo's i have 6 that stayed in grade and none that sheared out of grade. all of these tests were as long if not longer than the amsoil that sheared out of grade.

Can you provide a link to this study? Comments do not match UOA's here or studies I've seen. Mostly when you criticize Amsoil, I can't see where you are coming from. A couple times lately you have said Amsoil is shearing out of grade, or you say Fe is high and it's plainly not. And we definitely have seen HDEO shear over the years.

Curious who did this study? SWRI?

my own study.
paid for by me.
and some of the uoa's were done by SWRI and some by the blackstone (lol B S is no space is censored).

what's interesting is that a few times i sent samples from the same oil drain (1 bottle after another) to both labs and they didnt come out the same.

while i have only been on bitog since 05, i have been testing the same motor since april of 01.

my very 1st uoa was amsoil 20w50 and the testing was done by the stoners on 4/26/01.

INSOLUBLES: .2%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: < 0.5%
FLASHPOINT IN ºF: 365
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF: 68.4

your amsoil after a mere 60 miles was 0.2 susvis from being a 30wt. almost a lost a 2 grade levels!

my 2nd test of amsoil was not long after that 1st. another 60 miles.
INSOLUBLES: .3%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: < 0.5%
FLASHPOINT IN ºF: 390
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF: 76.0

while better, this still is not in grade.

so there is 2 uoa's right there. i know these were posted on here a long long time ago. probably lost even on this site.

you can fight and argue all you like, but the fact remains that i do have reports in hand with extremely low mileage that show amsoil out of grade. and by your own words above, amsoil is not a good synthetic.

however, i will say that my last test of amsoil did stay in grade and did pretty darn well. a top 5 report.

steve

Last edited:
You have two reports from 2001?

OK you win!
lol.gif

The last line has been true since at least 2005.

so then you agree that amsoil did not produce a good synthetic until only recently.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
You have two reports from 2001?

OK you win!
lol.gif

The last line has been true since at least 2005.

so then you agree that amsoil did not produce a good synthetic until only recently.

I would say I agree the Amsoil MC oils prior to 2004-2005 did shear, I think mainly due to inferior viscosity enhancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back