Finally, a synthetic blend that meets ACEA A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline also recommends Premium Blue 15W-40 in my 2009 Volkswagen TDI. They didn't even know what VW's 507.00 specification was*.

Trust them as far as you can throw them.

*as per several telephone conversations with their representative Travis Montgomery.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Maxlife synthetic blend meets A5 now, as indicated on the back of the bottle.

Is that the regular "Red Bottle" Maxlife tommygunn? Also, what viscosity was this, 5W30?

Originally Posted By: uart
Is that the regular "Red Bottle" Maxlife tommygunn? Also, what viscosity was this, 5W30?

Originally Posted By: kennyv1
Maxlife Full Synthetic is A5. Don't think Maxlife synthetic blend is.

Yes, red bottle synthetic blend. Yes it was 5w30. 5-qt jug at Walmart.

tommygunn is right.I just came from Walmart Maxlife synthetic blend (red) in 5gt jugs is A5. But not on 1gts yet.

Maxlife5w30_zps732d57fc.jpeg

Maxlife_zps44a0cb33.jpeg

Looks good.

I wish we could get maxlife here. The only grade I *ever* see it here in Australia is 20W50. Sob.

That bottle says ACEA A2/A5. There is no A2 or A2/A5 anymore. That makes me lose some faith in Valvoline as does their refusal to get their oils certified to manufacturers' oil specs.

Originally Posted By: JAG
That bottle says ACEA A2/A5. There is no A2 or A2/A5 anymore. That makes me lose some faith in Valvoline as does their refusal to get their oils certified to manufacturers' oil specs.

Jag raises a very good point here. ACEA A2 hasn't been used (or updated) this century and A5 hasn't been used by itself (other than A5/B5) since 2002. So if Valvoline are referring to the decades old A2-96 and A5-02 then this is pretty misleading.

Compare the recent specs A5/B5-10 and the old A2/A5-02 specs here: http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/orig...p/pc/index.html

Since I'm outside North America we don't have that oil (or Walmart) here, but I'd really like to see someone in the US question Valvoline over the specific meaning of "ACEA A2/A5 performance" here. Has anyone here got a communication line to Valvoline technical dept. I'd really like to see the answer to this one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back