DOT 3 Brake Fluid at O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need a quart of Dot 3 and have $5 to spend at O'Reilly.

Which one of these should I buy:

Valvoline Dot 3/4
O'Reilly
Pure Guard Super Heavy Duty
Peak
Prestone
Gunk
Wagner
Gunk ABS which passes GM4653M and is the most expensive

Either Wagner Dot 4, or Valvoline. DOT 4 is better than DOT3 due to its higher boiling points (Dry 446, wet 311 for DOT 4 vs 401/284 for DOT 3). I also looked on O'Reilly's website, and Wagner's DOT 4 seems to be the same price as DOT 3. So for no extra cost, get the better stuff.

Prestone would be my third choice. The wet BP is 284, but the dry BP is 470.

I wish Prestone made their DOT 4 by the quart because that would be awesome. Its wet BP is 311, but the dry BP is 510.

The vehicle this is for will not see demanding driving.

Corrosion protection and longevity are more important to me.

In that case, would Gunk ABS be best?

No. Gunk ABS isn't any better. It's actually inferior to Valvoline besides being more expensive.

The dry boiling point is the same, and the wet boiling point is lower.

Gunk:
Dry 450, Wet 284

Valvoline:
Dry 480, Wet 311

I used to be on the DOT4 bandwagon due to the higher boiling point. However - with DOT4 it collects water faster and WILL require flushing sooner than DOT3.

You are looking for protection and long life, so go with DOT3 at the best price.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I used to be on the DOT4 bandwagon due to the higher boiling point. However - with DOT4 it collects water faster and WILL require flushing sooner than DOT3.

You are looking for protection and long life, so go with DOT3 at the best price.

This isn't a problem if you flush every 2-3 years like you're supposed to.

Now if the OP didn't limit himself to $5, or to O'Reilly, he could get Castrol LMA which collects water slower. It's sold at Carquest.

If it has to come from O'Reilly, check out Wagner Severe Duty DOT 5.1.

And anyway many brake fluids say DOT 3&4, including Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

This isn't a problem if you flush every 2-3 years like you're supposed to.

Now if the OP didn't limit himself to $5, or to O'Reilly, he could get Castrol LMA which collects water slower. It's sold at Carquest.

If it has to come from O'Reilly, check out Wagner Severe Duty DOT 5.1.

And anyway many brake fluids say DOT 3&4, including Valvoline.

I agree and I do flush my fluid every 2 years. I just made the comment because the poster was looking for long term use and it didn't seem like he was going to flush it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back