KYB Strut leaking before install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed KYB Part # 234055 GR-2 / Excel-G on my 99 SL2. I used different resources to get me through this job. One person recommended working the shaft up and down by hand a few times so when you hit your first bump it responds better. I did this 3 times and tilted strut to side and a little bit of oil came out the top of strut. I am calling KYB and Rock Auto tomorrow. In your experience is this a big deal or nothing to worry about? These struts were made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Some oil seepage is normal, but I would not expect oil to pour out:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB99-001a.pdf

I guess I would exercise the rod a bit more and see if oil continues to leak out. If it does, then you should probably consider a warranty claim.

Thanks for the link! They are installed and I am taking car for alignment first thing in morning. I still may need a warranty claim depending on long term performance and what KYB/Rock Auto says.

I found this info on Monroe's website:

Quote:
A technician pointed out that I have a light film of oil covering my shocks or struts, should they be replaced?
If the shocks or struts are functioning correctly, a light film of oil covering the top half of the working chamber does not warrant replacement. This light film of oil results when oil used to lubricate the rod gets wiped from the rod as it travels into the painted part of the shock or strut. (The rod is lubricated as it cycles in and out of the working chamber). When the shock / strut is manufactured, an extra amount of oil is added to the shock / strut to compensate for this slight loss. On the other hand, fluid leaking down the side of the shock / strut indicates a worn or damaged seal, and the unit should be replaced.

The last time I pushed the rod in I had strut sideways. It was few drops or so of oil. A light film that came out of hole on top. Since these are meant to be vertical I am thinking it is the way I had them positioned and that they are new.

It is pretty normal. Your probably just fine. Hope your strut are good the aftermarket mounts are junk on most saturns.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It is pretty normal. Your probably just fine. Hope your strut are good the aftermarket mounts are junk on most saturns.

When I had my SL2, the KYB strut mounts (the ones that seem to be getting bad reviews) held up fine for over 35k.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

My concern was problems with aftermarket mounts like noise and cost of the good Moog ones was close to the price of a strut. I reused the old mounts. I re-greased the bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back