Long term reliabiltiy of KIA's new GDI engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing the new 2014 Forte EX 2.0, with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI).

Will this engine, with this fuel system, be just as reliable long term, say over a 10 year
period, that the KIA base 1.8 Liter engine?

The reason I ask is because I have been reading that some GDI engine accumulate carbon deposits much quicker than the base Multi-Port Injection engines.

Any truth to that, or just your basic internet nonsense?

The reliability of the KIA Forte is below average, But the powertrain warranty is 120 Months / 100,000 Miles.

Just bought a new car in March and like you I questioned the DI fuel delivery system and shied away from cars that I was interested in for that very thing. I think time will tell the DI is too problematic.

Billy007,

Actually, the KIA Forte 2011-2013 is ABOVE average reliability.
Where are you pulling your information from??

Reliability History - Kia Forte
legend
Trouble spots by year 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12
Engine Major - - - - - - - 5 5 5
Engine Cooling - - - - - - - 5 5 5
Transmission Major - - - - - - - 5 5 5
Transmission Minor - - - - - - - 4 5 5
Drive System - - - - - - - 5 5 5
Fuel System - - - - - - - 5 4 5
Engine Minor - - - - - - - 4 5 5
Electrical System - - - - - - - 4 5 5

Opps, its didnt pull all the information over correctly. But anyway, this can be seen at comsumer reports.org

Last edited:
Not all direct injected motors have carbon buildup issues. Audi has effectively eliminated it with a new PCV/vapor reclamation system. Their early/first-gen DI motors did have issues.

By now I think the carbon buildup stuff has been largely resolved.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Billy007,

Actually, the KIA Forte 2011-2013 is ABOVE average reliability.
Where are you pulling your information from??

But what year did they start the DI engine?

I don't know the answer, and I'm not anti-DI. But the reliability of past models wouldn't matter in this case if the previous models didn't have DI.

If you are concerned, as boring as Honda and Toyota are they have well proven engines and power trains using somewhat dated tech. They also still offer excellent MPG. The domestic offerings are wildcards since they all offer brand new engine designs unfortunately.

If I were in the market for this type of car Honda/Toyota they would be my first choice if long term were a concern.

From folks I know who own Kia/Hyundai is they seem pricier than Honda/Toyota/domestic when they break down. They are not unreliable but their components especially electronics are quite expensive. I was amazed how expensive an ABS/stability control module was for a kia. I looked it up on my Acura MDX and found the part to be 60% of the price.

Honda has a new K24W engine that is a direct-injected version of the K24. But it's only available in the Accord. Honda also has a direct-injected version of its J35 V-6, the J35Y. It's only available in the Accord and new Acura RLX at this point.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
If you are concerned, as boring as Honda and Toyota are they have well proven engines and power trains using somewhat dated tech. They also still offer excellent MPG. The domestic offerings are wildcards since they all offer brand new engine designs unfortunately.

If I were in the market for this type of car Honda/Toyota they would be my first choice if long term were a concern.

From folks I know who own Kia/Hyundai is they seem pricier than Honda/Toyota/domestic when they break down. They are not unreliable but their components especially electronics are quite expensive. I was amazed how expensive an ABS/stability control module was for a kia. I looked it up on my Acura MDX and found the part to be 60% of the price.

That explains why I have seen so many Kias in the junkyard. FWIW my wife has an Equinox w/D.I., and the biggest problem according to GM is it has to be serviced more often (oil changes).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

That explains why I have seen so many Kias in the junkyard.

i'm pretty sure the reason is they are or have been considered disposable vehicles which are not maintained properly. whats your take again?

Isn't the Forte all new for '14? It certainly looks sharp and has tons of features not available anywhere else in the class but I'm still not sure I could buy one.
IIRC deposits are a real issue with many DI engines and the way a couple mfrs. have fixed this is to use DI at low-mid RPM and port injection at high RPM.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
"long term reliability" and "new" don't go together.

Most relevant post of the thread.

We don't know the long term reliability of something that's only a few years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back