CARQUEST and NAPA batteries..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
They should be ok but I prefer the batteries that don't have liquid sloshing around inside of them.

What battery is that? I've never come across one before that has liquid splashing around

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c24k
Originally Posted By: Chris142
They should be ok but I prefer the batteries that don't have liquid sloshing around inside of them.

What battery is that? I've never come across one before that has liquid splashing around

I believe he is talking about conventional led acid batteries versus an agm which is not filled with liquid. From what i hear napa legend batteries are some of the top tier batteries but i personally reccomend interstate batteries.

my mech put an AC delco bat in my 2001 dak. he said that a lot of improvments have been done at AC delco bat lately.

I am pretty much battery-brand agnostic. It's more important to get the right battery construction for you local conditions.

Standard batteries don't have the Cold Cranking Amps that you need in extreme cold winter starts, but the wider plate spacing will reduce failure to sulphation, so for warm climate winter drivers (say, to -10F) they are a good choice.

If you do need the serious cold start performance, you pretty much have no choice than to use a dense plate battery.

After that, it's just good maintenance. I average 6~8 years out of my batteries but the brands are all over the place, and I need dense plate (normal temps annually where I live are -40C winter to +40C summer; -40F to 105F).

Keep the charging system in good order, use brass battery terminals (they don't corrode), don't leave the battery sit in a vehicle that sits for more than about 1 month (you can just remove the (-) terminal, but indoors is a better place to store a battery).

One of the things you learn about when you have to deal with extreme winter temps is most people don't practice good charge system maintenance. I can start my truck at -40C parked for weeks with no supplemental help (ie no block heater outlet available) and only a single battery. 0W-40 Mobil1, of course.

But every 10 degrees F will separate the wheat from the chaff. Cars that start fine at -20 will fail at -30, yet there is no reason why, with attention to the details, that same car could not start at -40, and have a battery that will last beyond 5 years to boot.

Lately I've been using a CTEK 3300 charger / maintainer, and that has really helped extend battery life, but I was getting good life without it in the past.

Last edited:
NAPA Batteries these days are made by East Penn.Used to be Exide for many years prior.

Advance Auto Parts battery purchased with online discount code - that's assuming you have Advance in your area.

Most of the Advance batteries at my local store are made by Johnson Controls.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Lately I've been using a CTEK 3300 charger / maintainer, and that has really helped extend battery life, but I was getting good life without it in the past.
That's the same one I have. My "summer toy" sits under cover from late November to sometime in April and starts up perfectly every spring. Current battery is 5 years old.

I had a Carquest in my truck. It did great until it gave up just about the time the warranty did. Like most full size batteries I have used, nothin special, just did the job.
Someone still makes flooded splashy old style batteries? I haven't seen a battery with 'caps' for a coon's age. Sealed AGM is the norm' for many years...?

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
I had a Carquest in my truck. It did great until it gave up just about the time the warranty did. Like most full size batteries I have used, nothin special, just did the job.
Someone still makes flooded splashy old style batteries? I haven't seen a battery with 'caps' for a coon's age. Sealed AGM is the norm' for many years...?
Sealed, yes, agm the norm for "years", no.

That's weird. Still have lots of splashy batteries with caps here. They really make a mess of the cables and battery tray. Especially in my cars with my bumpy dirt roads I travel every day. The optima and other agm batteries don't gas or splash out electrolyte under normal conditions so cables and trays stay clean.

I replaced my original Mopar battery (just outside the 36k mile BtoB warranty) with a Napa (65?). The Napa lasted about two years and I replaced it under warranty. The next one lasted about two years. Napa no longer handled that battery and it was replaced with a Napa Gold, which they said should last a lot longer. I have been diligent about putting it on a charger at least every six months due to a lot of short driving. I've avereaged a new battery about every two years (4 in eight years). The only reason that I went with a Napa this time was due to the fact that I had a considerable amount of pro-ration. Otherwise, I would have gotten a Motorcraft or AC Delco from the shop where I worked.

Wow thanks for all the help. I currently use the autozone duralast was looking for something better but it seems a battery is a battery these days I guess most of em are china made
frown.gif
I guess ill give the oe toyota battery another try it lasted 3 1/2 years compared to the 1-2 I currently get with the "neverlast" lol

Wow thanks for all the help. I currently use the autozone duralast was looking for something better but it seems a battery is a battery these days I guess most of em are china made
frown.gif

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Chinese car batter in any of the major stores. Are your Duralast batteries marked "made in China"?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
frown.gif

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Chinese car batter in any of the major stores. Are your Duralast batteries marked "made in China"?

I have no idea lol but it wouldn't surprise me. I've read about the batteries being made tere and sent here dry then filled and marked made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back