Oil Recommendation - 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2007 Honda Pilot with 41,000 miles on it. I am not sure what oil is in it currently. I want to change it ASAP to a synthetic oil. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations for this engine? I've used Mobil 1 in the past. I read good things about Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil, and Royal Purple on these boards too. I just don't know of the Amsoil or RP are worth the extra money. Any input/help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I have the exact same engine in my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I have used either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra since new. I go 7,500 miles between changes, and it seems to work great. No issues, oil burning, or any other problems.

I would not change your current fill until its really needed, though. I believe any name brand synthetic is a great choice for the Pilot. Mobil 1, Synpower, etc. are all good, too.

Which engine is it Engine Code J35A9 or J35Z1? Does it have the 3.5 iVTEC?
If it has iVTEC or J35Z1 be careful messing around with long OCI. Full synthetic 5K not more and replace the PCV valve often!
PU or PP 5w30 works real well in these engines, look for a very low NOAK number for the iVTEC they get hot as a pistol on that front bank and crucifies the oil.

They are spec for xW-20 but this engine is the last engine i would use it in. JMHO from experience with these engines.
Non iVTEC engines are fine with xW-20, PP, PU, M1 are all fine Amsoils a bit pricey because i wouldn't trust any oil in these engine much more than 7500 miles.
Ditto the PCV valve service, about every 50K on the non iVTEC, 30K on the iVTEC.

Been there done that and have a closet full of i cleaned Honda iVTEC engine t shirts. lol
Amsoil ATF and a full line off fluid exchange will be the best money you ever spent but thats another subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have the exact same engine in my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I have used either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra since new. I go 7,500 miles between changes, and it seems to work great. No issues, oil burning, or any other problems.

I would not change your current fill until its really needed, though. I believe any name brand synthetic is a great choice for the Pilot. Mobil 1, Synpower, etc. are all good, too.

I second this recommendation. PU and PP are my fave for my Ridgeline averaging 7000 miles per OCI.

Do you know the service history? You may want to do a UOA on the first drain. If you are not sure do not assume a clean sludge free crankcase.
I use 5w-20 synthetic in the winter and 5w-20/30 a cheaper quality brand (currently FAR NextGen).
I am not a fan of boutique oil and change the oil 3x's a year due to frequent short trips. If you are doing highway miles and want a long OCI (oil change interval) Mobil 1 is $22.47 at my Walmart and I stock up on Purolator P1 filters at Advance Auto when they are on sale using an online coupon to get them for $3 each.
Get to know the Products, Rebates etc forum as well as Slickdeals.net for oil deals.

Last edited:
Trav, I was under the impression (but don't know for sure) that the Pilots don't have the VCM as an option, so there is less sludging risks, correct?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Trav, I was under the impression (but don't know for sure) that the Pilots don't have the VCM as an option, so there is less sludging risks, correct?

I don't know about the US market but there is one listed for these vehicles. Yep sludge isn't really an issue with the "normal" 3.5.

I was thinking of neglected oil when I mentioned sludge. You are correct only the fwd Pilot had VCM then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back