PEA based fuel additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Gumout product contains the most PEA? Are Techron, Redline, Amsoil still using PEA? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck.

Not sure about regane. I use Amsoil PI and I like it (I am a dealer so it's not expensive) as far as price if you find it on sale Techron is good. Sign up as an amsoil preferred customer and you can buy Amsoil pretty reasonable.

Redline SI1 is the best IMO it is really 100% gasoline detergent. So you can use a whole bottle in one tank of gas with no ill effects to do a major cleanup. I have used in with great success in fuel injected boats that had cruddy injectors.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I thought Gumout High Mileage had the most PEA of the Gumout line.

+1

I know Gumout Regane was PEA based. Unsure about the other Gumout products. I did not think Amsoil was PEA based. It could be but did not think so. Unsure about Redline.

Since those that do make it add only small percentage to the product, you need to look at the MSDS to get a hint of the most actual PEA for your $$. The cheapest product may not be the cheapest when you look at PEA %.

Sams Club has a 4 pack of Techron at a good price.

The PEA fuel cleaners I'm aware of are Redline si-1, techron concentrate plus, Gumout all-in-one, Gumout HM w/Regane, Gumout Regane. Per Gumout they do not disclose each brew. The biggest bang for the buck IMO is gumout all-in-one 10oz. Treats 35 gals, has all the bells and whistles like friction modifiers, corrosion inhibitors, and coatings to deter future deposits. And..I like it because of a little plastic pull tab to take the foil cover off completely. Foil covers keep me awake at night, wondering if a piece got stuck in the tank pump filter sock blocking fuel flow
shocked2.gif
$7 Walmart

Chevron Techron is the 800 lb. gorilla when it comes to PEA. They have done study after study on the subject, unlike most of these other companies, and it is very often on BOGO. They did a study a couple of years ago proving that when it comes to PEA, there is a threshold, and overdosing on PEA has really no positive result.

Last edited:
The foil cover is called an induction seal. The caps are purchased with the seals inserted in them. After they are screwed onto the bottles they go through a machine that applies and electrical charge via induction (look it up) to the foil. The foil gets hot and, literally, melts onto to top edge of the bottle neck. It's a touchy adjustment. Too little charge and you get incomplete adhesion. Too much charge and you get a seal that is difficult, or impossible, to remove intact. The pull tab seal requires a light touch on the current.

I used to buy dietary supplements made by contract manufacturers. The integrity of the seal was very important to the end customer, obviously. But, these days we also want packaging to be "impaired friendly" as well. Having to dig out a knife to cut around a seal is kind of a pain, I do admit.

The Gumout bottles are easy to add to the fuel tank while at the gas station, too. I am using All-in-One at each OCI, not every 3,000 miles.

This question rears its head from time to time. It's not quite so simple, and my response is not going to be very useful. However, the following may help explain why this question is not so simple.

If I use the word alcohol, am I referencing methanol, ethanol, butanol, another alcohol .. which one? You can't tell because alcohol is not sufficiently descriptive.

Using PEA (polyetheramine) is the same - which PEA?

If you compare percentage PEA from MSDSs, you may get know which product has more PEA, but you don't get to know which product has the most "bang for the buck". They are not all equally effective and their characteristics as fuel additives are very proprietary.

This family of molecules is large and has varied uses, including uses unrelated to fuel. The chemistry for fuel-additive-type PEAs can be explained as follows:

PEAs can be represented by the formula R[OCH2CH(R1)]nA.

R is a hydrocarbyl group;

R1 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydrocarbyl groups of 1 to 16 carbon atoms, and mixtures thereof;

n is a number from 2 to about 50;

A is selected from the group consisting of — OCH2CH2CH2NR2R2 and -NR3R3 wherein each R2 is independently hydrogen or hydrocarbyl; each R3 is independently hydrogen, hydrocarbyl or — [R4N(R5)]PR6 wherein R4 is C2 — Ci0 alkylene; R5 and R6 are independently hydrogen or hydrocarbyl; p is a number from 1-7.

Most, if not all, of the molecules that fit the description above can be used to clean fuel systems, injectors, valves, and even piston tops. However, they are not equally effective.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
This question rears its head from time to time. It's not quite so simple, and my response is not going to be very useful. However, the following may help explain why this question is not so simple.

If I use the word alcohol, am I referencing methanol, ethanol, butanol, another alcohol .. which one? You can't tell because alcohol is not sufficiently descriptive.

Using PEA (polyetheramine) is the same - which PEA?

If you compare percentage PEA from MSDSs, you may get know which product has more PEA, but you don't get to know which product has the most "bang for the buck". They are not all equally effective and their characteristics as fuel additives are very proprietary.

This family of molecules is large and has varied uses, including uses unrelated to fuel. The chemistry for fuel-additive-type PEAs can be explained as follows:

PEAs can be represented by the formula R[OCH2CH(R1)]nA.

R is a hydrocarbyl group;

R1 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydrocarbyl groups of 1 to 16 carbon atoms, and mixtures thereof;

n is a number from 2 to about 50;

A is selected from the group consisting of — OCH2CH2CH2NR2R2 and -NR3R3 wherein each R2 is independently hydrogen or hydrocarbyl; each R3 is independently hydrogen, hydrocarbyl or — [R4N(R5)]PR6 wherein R4 is C2 — Ci0 alkylene; R5 and R6 are independently hydrogen or hydrocarbyl; p is a number from 1-7.

Most, if not all, of the molecules that fit the description above can be used to clean fuel systems, injectors, valves, and even piston tops. However, they are not equally effective.

^^^ This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back