mobil 1/ATF mix for AR lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of guys on AR forums that are using a mobil 1/ATF mix in various ratios as lube and I have not seen any negative reports from doing this. Wondered if anyone here has used this and your thoughts on it. Any reason to choose M1 over another brand for use as a gun lube?

After countless UOA's i have concluded that 5w40 turbo diesel truck is the best. Just kidding, but that is what i have in a small bottle for gun lube. being an HDEO it grabs the powder residue requiring more frequent but easier cleaning.

My gun nut friend swears by Crusader Weaponry's Slipstream weapon lube. He even cleaned and treated my CZ with it, seems just as good or better than Mobil 1. But my Mobil 1 has already been purchased.

AR's in most enviro's aren't all that fussy what lube they get. Depends on what you want the lube to do. For AR's it really is hard to beat any of the various CLP's. If you have to clean a lot and want to save, I tell ya MMO cleand like a son of a B! I use it on shotgun extensively and leaves a mirror finish.

I'm an armorer and with AR's I use any of the more popular CLP's with Shooters Choice the one I purchase for my dept most. End of day, it's much like SN rated oils, sure some better than others BUT if you were to use the cheapest CLP and clean it the right way every time you shoot; never an issue!

The most important thing is to lube it with something that is not going to dry out or turn into a hot sticky mess.

one thing is no graphite on weapons ! its NOT good on ar because of the aluminum ! and Teflon is another no/no it breaks down to some very bad stuff ! ar love synthetic oils only !

This mix seems to be a never ending myth. There is NO reason to mix these lubes for any use. ATF is diluting the motor oil which has additives much more germane to lubricating a gun.

In short, the ATF makes the motor less effective at properly lubricating the gun.

"Teflon is another no/no it breaks down to some very bad stuff !"
Only at temps above 600F and ONLY so long as the PTFE is at or above that temp. The only realist concern I have seen for this is with regards to fighting vehicles which are enclosed for some time. The off gassing might build up inside with sustained fire. For ordinary shooting, it is a non-issue.

Why the heck use motor oil or ATF in an AR unless you have no other lube? Oh, I'm sure they will lube just fine but there are so many other choices that are less messy. IMHLO AR's run better a little wet. And some sliding contact areas are better with grease anyway, especially when it's hot.

I've used a lot of gun lubes over the last 3-4 years or so. None have failed yet. I pretty much use a variety of stuff on my AR's. I like CorrosionX and Tri-Flow and Amsoil MP and Amsoil Spray Grease for lube.

I clean with a mix of Kroil and Hoppe's #9. Best cleaner I've touched.

Why wouldn't randomly mixing together lubricants deigned for a internal combustion engine and a hydraulic power transfer system result in a great lubricant for some third application?

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back