Honda vs Fram oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the Honda A02, A01 and Fram Ultra? which would you choose for best Flow/Filtration? I have the Fram Ultra on now and notice nothing different from the last filter i had on (napa pro select) I know both honda filter have silicon adbv but one has paper end caps and neither are synthetic media (i think, not sure) Just looking for the best Flowing filter? is the Fram Ultra restrictive? main concern is morning starts. It almost sounds louder with the Ultra than the Pro select. Honda or Fram Ultra for next oil change? Have Pennzoil Ultra waiting to go in.

Starts have much more to do with the ADBV than "flow". But if flow is your concern, both the Honda OEM and the Ultra should be among the very best flowing filters for your car anyway, you're splitting knat hairs.

Lots of good info on both filters on the Oil Filter forum, you should check it out. A mod will probably move this over there anyway.

Your the guy with the recent thread about startup rattle right? If your looking for best flow, you need to drop the efficiency/filtration. You can't have both, its a trade. Pop the lower efficiency Honda on, see what happens. Your oil wont be as "pretty" which is less important than startup oil flow.

I myself would run the Honda A01 filter. I currently run this on my 2009 Accord K24Z2 and report no issues.

No startup noise, no oil lights ever come on, no change in performance. I have no idea as to actual flow as I have no oil pressure gauge.

I'd assume the A02 (which Honda says is interchangeable with the A01) would be sufficient as well. My money's with the A01.

Used the Fram ultra filter on my 2010 Suzuki sx4 Sportback twice and it caused severe valve ticking and harsh engine start up noise. I took it to my dealer and had them switch out the Fram ultra for an OEM filter made in Japan and no more noise. I loved the Fram ultra filter on paper but it wasn't the right filter for my car.

My mechanic said after market filters are good but they are made to be universal not dedicated to a specific make and model. He said the valve ticking was probably caused by the ADBV and the restrictive oil flow on start up. Whatever the case, I have moved back to using the OEM Japanese oil filter and Pennzoil ultra 5w30 and my hot hatch is as quiet as a church mouse again.

does anyone know the figures for filtration and flow on the honda a01 and a02 filters???

also, since i use synthetic oil will the honda filter be ok since its not synthetic media??? Really just would like to know if the Honda or Fram Ultra filter has better START UP flow.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
also, since i use synthetic oil will the honda filter be ok since its not synthetic media??? Really just would like to know if the Honda or Fram Ultra filter has better START UP flow.

I would imagine it would be fine for a 5k oci

does anyone know the figures for filtration and flow on the honda a01 and a02 filters???

According to Fram, who makes the A02 filter, efficiency is 65% because that is what Honda wants. With that kind of low efficiency it would be reasonable to expect flow is very high. Toyota OEM's are spec'd at about 50% efficiency, clearly they are doing this on purpose I don't know if its for flow reasons, weak oil pumps or what but it is intentional.

I don't know what the A01 is but I imagine it's similar since it's Honda spec.

The Ultra will be 99% efficient but will still flow very well due to being synthetic.

As I mentioned before both are very high flowing filters and I'd be a lot more concerned about ADBV's than flow if I was having start up noise.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

According to Fram, who makes the A02 filter, efficiency is 65% because that is what Honda wants. With that kind of low efficiency it would be reasonable to expect flow is very high. Toyota OEM's are spec'd at about 50% efficiency, clearly they are doing this on purpose I don't know if its for flow reasons, weak oil pumps or what but it is intentional.

I don't know what the A01 is but I imagine it's similar since it's Honda spec.

The Ultra will be 99% efficient but will still flow very well due to being synthetic.

As I mentioned before both are very high flowing filters and I'd be a lot more concerned about ADBV's than flow if I was having start up noise.

65%!! thats crazy...how is that even safe to put on your car? so it lets 35% of dirt and particles by?

Well, 35% of particles that are 20 microns or larger. Pretty abysmal by aftermarket standards but apparently still adequate as we don't see Hondas littering the road with blown engines from OEM filters.

Most filters are measured at 20 microns, the dreaded orange can is about 95%, the Puro Classic 97+%, and higher offerings like the Pure One, Tough Guard and Ultra are at 99% at 20 microns.

With lower efficiency comes higher flow, at least it should, and it appears the Toyota, Honda and possibly Hyundai/KIA OEM filters are all optimized for flow over filtration.

This is nothing new, years ago Consumer Reports tested oil filters and found Japanese OEM filters to score very poorly in efficiency then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back