2002 Subaru WRX Wagon Rust Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father's 2002 WRX Wagon started to rust near the rear wheel well on both sides. This seems to be a common problem with this generation of WRX, especially in Northern climates. My parents buy their vehicles new and drive them forever. With 142k miles on this car and a clean bill of health by the mechanic we decided it has enough life left on it to get the rust "repaired." Plus, I was able to get a good deal at the dealership I work at.

Driver side rust. I think we got it just in the nick of time.
6952140263_f5d1b56088_b.jpg

Passenger side rust.
6806025960_582175ca57_b.jpg

Passenger side after the offending metal was cut out and new metal welded in. The body shop also applied duraglass filler to the inside and outside of the repaired areas followed by regular filler. The duraglass is supposed to buy us some time before the rust returns.
6894316047_f539bb2858_b.jpg

This is the driver side after the same repair and some sanding. The entire vehicle also had paintless dent removal while in the shop. The filler above the rust repair is for paint repair from a dent being removed and some paint damage remaining.
6894315431_ce66fbbf46_b.jpg

More prep.
6894316891_2a2fa3643e_b.jpg

Prepping for paint. (Wavy look is a reaction from florescent lights and my camera phone.)
6894314631_7cdcf492fe_b.jpg

Getting closer (more sanding and prep)
6894317529_4ec0fe2932_b.jpg

I didn't get pictures of every step because I was at work and actually had to get work done
eek.gif
The repair is completed now and the car is back on the road. I will get some pictures of the completed job next time I have the car. It looks great and the paint matches perfectly.

And since this is Bob is the OIL Guy....this car is currently running BMW 5w-30 Full Synthetic (3.5k MI into OCI) and a Napa Pro Select filter. Previous fill was M1 0w-40 and a Purolator PureOne filter (5.8k OCI).

I am presuming this is only possible because you are doing this job yourself. If given to a body shop, this would cost significant fraction of the car's worth!

Last edited:
I stopped by to replace a tail light bulb and snapped a few pictures. The rear bumper color was off slightly before the paint repair. I think the paint just aged differently. The snow also messed with the pictures a little. In person the paint matches perfectly.

Full vehicle pictures will come later (after it gets some buffing and a fresh coat of wax).

I forgot to mention the inner wheel wells got sprayed with undercoating/rustproofing to help keep moisture out as well.

I did not do the job myself, however I did help with some of the tear down/reassembly and prep. Before I was employed at this dealership my father got a quote from a body shop and yes, it was prohibitively expensive (well over $1k). The only reason why we did it now was because of the discount I could get being an employee and helping some.

Passenger side:
6952995447_2e31da226c_b.jpg

6806883664_f7d892f188_b.jpg

Driver side:
6952993293_75946251bd_b.jpg

6806883262_aebe593d13_b.jpg

Funny thing is I have had similar wheel well rust issues with my Maxima and I could not even get a body shop to tackle it. He told me that there was no real way to fix it i.e. it would come back in a year and it is a design problem with that model. I hope that is not the case with your Subaru.

You have done a great job on this Subaru.

- Vikas

It's interesting, that is the single most common rust spot I see on vehicles right now. I've seen it on Lexus, BMW, Subaru, and Nissan models. All I can think is the sandy, salty water gets trapped up in there and can't get out.

The repair looks great.

Have the same problem on my 02 Legacy. Has 143K on it and I've been wanting to do a repair job similar to this but cant find the paint that goes in those HVLP spray guns. Any clues?

Thanks for all replies. My Dad was very happy with the final result. I hope it will at least last a few more years before the rust returns. I know all of the rusting metal was completely cut out. That area does seem to be one of the most common rust spots no matter the brand. I am beginning to see high mileage E46 3-series that are developing rust in the very same location.

I am not sure about the paint. I know the body shop sources most of its paint from Finish Masters. No special paint or primer was used.

Total cost for the rust removal/re-spray and painless dent removal (which included at least 10 small dents on the roof from acorns falling from a tall tree, probably over 15 on the entire vehicle) was $508 including tax.

We saved about $100 or more by taping off the rear quarter panel windows insead of having them professionally removed and reinstalled by a third party for the re-spray. The gamble paid off because there is absolutely no overspray on the rubber seals of the windows.

Just to update....a little over a year later it appears the rust on the driver side is returning. The passenger side still looks completely unaffected. Kind of a bummer, but my father rarely washing the vehicle this winter didn't help much either!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: cchase
Rust is a cancer. Unless you cut it out entirely, it will return.

Yep...why I won't do much for the wife's car. I've cleaned it up well, and plan to sand and prime, to hold it off as long as I can. Barring surprises, I think a few more years is possible..

Here in MI, one's best bet is simply a winter beater...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back