Le Mans 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever been to Le Mans? This is nuts I've got a friend who works for Audi he called me last weekend and he scored some tickets for the entire week. Sounds like fun I've always wanted to go but not on such short notice. He plans to drive over from Ingolstadt and I'll just fly into Paris and drive up to Le Mans and meet him hopefully at a Hotel or B&B if I can find one.

I don't really want to camp but I assume all of the Hotels are sold out by now? Is there some place we can drive to easily (hour away is fine with us) and stay off the beaten path for lodging near Le Mans? I plan to hit the web tonight for reservations.

Since F1 is in Silverstone the following weekend I plan to attend. I feel like a pig as I plan to do Belgium this year also as I'm afraid of the future of the Spa-Francorchamps F1 race.

Thanks

I have no advice for the current problem but from one car guy to another you may qualify as "the most interesting man in the world"

most-interesting-man-240.jpg

Camping is the only way you'll get by and you'll need a permit for a space. Don't exceed the dimensions allowed. There will be no rooms available. For a motorhead it's the experience of a lifetime. And don't walk into area's that require a separate pass. Be sure to ride the big Ferris Wheel. And learn to observe where the mechanics for the smaller teams that don't have access to the hospitality tents eat so that you can get good food at a non-tourist price. The food is spectacular. There are many markets around the course and they sell absolutely anything you can imagine. Be very careful about trying to slip into one of the hospitality suites or tents. And remember the police are very strict. If you mouth off or cause trouble you'll be in jail in a heartbeat. They don't warn and they don't threaten, they do. Worry not. And carry all your documents absolutely everywhere you go. Make sure your travel agent is a bonded member of the ABTA and your tickets come through and official agent of the ACO so that you're tickets are guaranteed.You'll have a great time.

If you don't want to camp (and get the full, often Damp, experience)

Try to find something on airbandb
some listings still show accommodation is available.

Just curious about the type of oil they use in the engines. Would the Audi R10 use 'off the shelf VW507" oil? Would the GT1's use off the shelf oils like M1 0W-40?

Also, would they use off the shelf GL5 in the diffs?

Does anyone know for certain what they use?

Do it, I would if I had the chance. I just got back form the V8 Supercar races at Circuit of the America's. Was lucky enough to have a Ford Performance Racing race engineer sitting next to me on the flight out of Austin. Talked cars most of the flight, those cars are really awesome.

I just looked at the entry list and am curious what, if anything, the ACO is doing to make the P1 class competitive. Based on past races anyone who isn't an Audi may as well not show up in P1. They ought to allow lighter weight or smaller restrictor plates on the Toyota and Honda engines. I'm all for the best engineering to win but the cars aren't even competing in the same envelope.

As long as you're over there, and have overcome the jet lag, take a couple of extra days and drive your rental car around the Nurburgring Nordschlieffe. That will make the ultimate car guy European vacation.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I just looked at the entry list and am curious what, if anything, the ACO is doing to make the P1 class competitive. Based on past races anyone who isn't an Audi may as well not show up in P1. They ought to allow lighter weight or smaller restrictor plates on the Toyota and Honda engines. I'm all for the best engineering to win but the cars aren't even competing in the same envelope.

Looks like this was addressed last week with increased fuel capacity for petrol engines. I still have my doubts that it's going to help much but at least it was given some attention.

i have never traveled any. but have heard if you take small trinkets not of high valvue, to trade over seas you can get some interesting things. but check about taking such things, it may not be alowed. things like state pins, car decals, car magazines. just an idea. sounds like a blast.

No posts since 6/6. I thought more BITOGers would be interested in Le Mans! I cleared space on the DVR last night. They may as well not even run the P1 race but the P2 and GT classes should be outstanding.

I will be getting up early to watch it. I have to go to a wedding tomorrow, best friend's sister. Luckily the reception is at their mansion and they get Speed Channel on the TV near their bar area.

BTW anyone thinking I might be weird, last year a cousin got married literally DURING the Indy 500. I had the race on my cell phone the whole time, he knew I was doing it so he was cool with it.

Back in the mid-90's before my cable company in South Bend carried Speedvision, I drove to Indianapolis and checked into a motel that had it just so I could watch the race.

Good race so far. Very sad to hear about Simonsen.

Audi of course leading, but it's fun to see Toyota nipping at their heels. Aston Martin having a strong race as well.

Caught some custom Mobil 1 going into the Porsche.
grin.gif

I did see Motul RBF brake fluid and tins of 300V in other garages, which is of no surprise given that Motul is a big sponsor.

IMG_7166_zps0a242bbb.jpg

IMG_7168_zps81109ee2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back