Window AC in a vinyl window install

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I live in a >85 year old home. We have radiator heat which I greatly prefer. We generally have only 10 or so days a year where we really need AC to sleep comfortably.

Unfortunately the previous owners removed the beautiful wood sash weight type windows and installed horrid vinyl windows in their place. I'm not a fan and would have preferred rebuilding the wood windows and having storm windows.

Anyway, it is what it is. But now that we have an infant, it's not just a one bedroom deal. Especially since the baby naps many times a day. So I want to put in a window AC in the nursery.

So for reference, this is how they are installed:

89E2F9F2-A937-4144-BCA3-320BF88B6C6B-549-000001927B85D831_zpsfea40807.jpg

All the vinyl windows are the same. This is just the closest one to snap a shot of, in the butler's pantry. Pardon the dirt and pollen.

D1490D64-1B76-408E-A912-1FA6091F2D1F-523-000001910787DA7E_zps1e4368bb.jpg

One of the main reasons I hate these windows is that the frame is a good inch inside the original chestnut trim and the sill. We put Anderson windows in our living room, which look far better and original, but I'm dealing with vinyl upstairs so they match. Anyway, the challenge is that the windows are set like this:

D5BA1DD1-3681-4D93-962F-DE7B4BD25D4C-523-0000019110B1191A_zps29a2419c.jpg

So the sill is really high and vinyl.

8D6B5698-250D-4885-B62A-226DCECD3B6E-523-000001910D68CE41_zps097d4afa.jpg

So the question is how to install it best with this setup.

From the first image you can see that the front bottom of the case, and the ~1/2" trough that extends from the AC case imparts a lot of the mass onto the actual sill that would be underneath the lower window sash. Of course the other force is the L-channel on the top of the AC case that presses against the lower window sash. But that's easier to work around.

So the AC sits high, puts all force on this hokey plastic outer sash, and id guess isn't the most stable - not like the US-made Friedrich unit (the new one is also Friedrich, and they're the last to offshore but they have now as well - discussion for another day).

So recommendations for supporting the mass of the AC on a vinyl window? For whatever reason, this one isnt as sturdy as our other one which is no longer made. I've ripped a window width strip of 1/2" plywood to put as far outboard as possible, to prevent the weight from being directly on the outer vinyl strip. But what else?? The vinyl base on the window, shown above, seems sturdy enough, but I don't know that means much of anything...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

They make a bracket that supports the weight of the a/c unit , look on the home depot or Amazon website , I think the home depot site also has a tutorial on how to mount one.If your handy you can probably make a bracket fairly easily once you see it. good luck !

I had to make a wooden support for mine back in the day as otherwise the bottom of the vinyl window buckled.(Cheap Windows)

I have since then switched to Portable wheeled AC units with window adapter. Best thing I ever did.

Window units beat the [censored] out of the windows.

Last edited:
That DIY shows a wood window and it says to screw into the vinyl
Frame, which I've always read to be a no-no. It will compromise the water and weather-tightness of the window the 10 months when it isn't installed.

The funny thing is that our ca. 2007 friedrich fits perfect in an identical window in our bedroom without any issue or movement.

There are several places that carry kits for that scenario, or you can fab your own. It should be simple enough to mill a piece of wood to support the AC over that gap, and then use one of those hideous kits with the metal legs that support the AC on the outside. Or possibly fab a support that takes the entire weight of the AC unit off the window and puts half of it on the floor in front, and half of it on those metal legs that hang outside the house. I'm not sure those cheap windows would withstand much vibration from an AC unit.

Former owners putting in garbage windows like that is one reason why I'd never own an old home without restoring it the right way. The stuff we used to see when we flipped homes like that is amazing-wood floors with no subfloor, low end replacement windows, basements with no humidity control, etc. We always had to make it right. But that's a discussion for another day.

Or there's always this method-at least you wouldn't have to worry about the window collapsing.

I cut really stiff foam and ran it full length in the window trough it sticks up about 1/4" above the highest vinyl part.

then i grabbed a metal bar with a couple pieces of rubber and jammed the window down so it cant open... add in a few pieces of tape and foam = boom done.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
There are several places that carry kits for that scenario, or you can fab your own. It should be simple enough to mill a piece of wood to support the AC over that gap, and then use one of those hideous kits with the metal legs that support the AC on the outside. Or possibly fab a support that takes the entire weight of the AC unit off the window and puts half of it on the floor in front, and half of it on those metal legs that hang outside the house. I'm not sure those cheap windows would withstand much vibration from an AC unit.

Former owners putting in garbage windows like that is one reason why I'd never own an old home without restoring it the right way. The stuff we used to see when we flipped homes like that is amazing-wood floors with no subfloor, low end replacement windows, basements with no humidity control, etc. We always had to make it right. But that's a discussion for another day.

Or there's always this method-at least you wouldn't have to worry about the window collapsing.

hahaha good pic! dont think it would work on the second story though.

I hate vinyl, but I demanded a concession from the seller, and will do it right someday (put it against the mortgage since Id rather have a paid for home at 35 than wood windows). If we stay in the home, we will change them someday (and probably put real ac upstairs). If we move, Ill have a paid for rental home with window ACs. The good thing is that all the internal trim is original, unharmed chestnut.

I did make some wood to fill the gap... we havent had any issues with window units in the windows for the years we have lived here, and the POs had other window units in the same windows. I only have 5500-6000BTU units per room so they run longer and dehumidify better. Maybe a giant, oversized unit would break a window, but that is a stupid way to implement AC. These self support and need no bracket. The whole issue is just support on what is a vinyl outer sill.

Fortunately AC is a June 15-August 15 thing, and the longest I have them in is Memorial Day to Labor Day. And they are on the back/side of the home, so out of view too. Sure beats paying the HVAC thieves $15000+ to AC my upstairs for something I use very seldomly. I vastly prefer radiator heat, and we heat and make hot water at >95%, so Im not giving that up.

I use 2x4 wood for a base, a chunk inside and a chunk out. I also improve the "burgle-proof" as well as "fall-out-proof" with a chunk of wood between the top of the bottom open window and the top of the frame. Got just the right length to wedge in there.

The elegance of all this wood starts to lose its luster though when I duct tape the air leaks to keep mosquitoes out.
frown.gif

I do the same exact thing for many year now and never had an issue. Nice cheap easy solution!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use 2x4 wood for a base, a chunk inside and a chunk out. I also improve the "burgle-proof" as well as "fall-out-proof" with a chunk of wood between the top of the bottom open window and the top of the frame. Got just the right length to wedge in there.

The elegance of all this wood starts to lose its luster though when I duct tape the air leaks to keep mosquitoes out.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Got pics?

Your leaks are that bad? Our ACs fit perfect and tight.

I have to use the accordion gap filler things and they'd retract from their own minor spring pressure if not taped in place. (I'd rather not screw them in through the provided holes.) I use a typical $99 5000 BTU unit that's only 16-18" wide. Works great, it cuts the humidity and never cycles on and off which wakes me up more than if it runs all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back