2003 mini cooper how much freon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
my girlfriends 2003 mini cooper's air is blowing nearly complety warm air. how much freon should i put in?

Since everything is "mini"ed in there i wasnt sure. i was thinking try half a 8oz can and see how it does.

There should be a label somewhere in the engine compartment stating how much to recharge. I would check the ac system for leaks because it is a sealed system and should not loose refrigerant unless there was a leak somewhere. Also never use the stuff with stop leak. It only makes it harder to locate leaks and a lot of shops will not service your ac if you have had stop leak in the system. Use only refrigerant with oil .

Don't do anything until you put a gauge set on it and read the pressures. While it is likely low on charge, there can be other problems. Just guessing as to how much freon to add can make the situation worse - overcharging is bad too.

Use a real gauge set, not the cheap ones that come on the can. You need both high and low pressures to do it right.

The only way to know how much to put in is to start with an empty and vacuumed system. Total capacity is 415g/14.5oz accroding to a Google search

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/126692-c-recharge-r134a-charge-specs.html

With a system that small your chances of adding the correct amount of refrigerant are pretty slim. Having 2oz too much or too little is a huge percentage on a system this small.

The car really needs to be taken to a shop that can properly recharge the system with out guess work. It may not be low, it could have another problem as well.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The only way to know how much to put in is to start with an empty and vacuumed system. Total capacity is 415g/14.5oz accroding to a Google search

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/126692-c-recharge-r134a-charge-specs.html

With a system that small your chances of adding the correct amount of refrigerant are pretty slim. Having 2oz too much or too little is a huge percentage on a system this small.

The car really needs to be taken to a shop that can properly recharge the system with out guess work. It may not be low, it could have another problem as well.

awsome thank you , this was what i was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back