5w30 vs 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4.0 mustang calls for 5W30, I don't live in a cold area, but would 0W30, like M1 AFE or GC hurt anything?

Originally Posted By: Stang40
I was just wondering...as far as viscosity goes...which of the 2 would you recc?

What the oem recommends.

sorry guys, i didnt realize what category i was in when i posted this, how do i move it?

Originally Posted By: Stang40
My 4.0 mustang calls for 5W30, I don't live in a cold area, but would 0W30, like M1 AFE or GC hurt anything?

German Castrol 0w-30 does not meet Ford's WSS-M2C929-A spec (or any of the preceding Ford specs) for a 30 weight. Mobil 1 AFE does.
AFE and GC are probably the most radically different motor oils, carrying the same weight rating, you'll find in the United States.

If your warranty, or extended warranty, is over you can run German Castrol if you would like to give it a try. Just cause it doesn't meet Ford's spec doesn't mean it's not a superior product. Because it certainly is. It's a heavy, sheer stable, PAO based 30 weight that meets BMW's Long Life specification.

It costs a lot more money to put that oil together than it does to fill the other bottles with Group III+ wonder fluid.

Use 0w30.....the lower the first number the better in any area as it will flow better at lower temps even if its only 50 degrees outside.

Originally Posted By: rcbc96
Use 0w30.....the lower the first number the better in any area as it will flow better at lower temps even if its only 50 degrees outside.

Not always. In cooler temperatures, GC is actually thicker than a lot of 5w-30 oils.

The 0w just means that it exceeds the viscosity requirements. It doesn't mean that it flows better or faster than a 5w oil.

If it's 50F outside how will you engine ever see the difference between 0w-30 and 5w-30. Viscosity ratings and curves vary a bit and can still be in spec. There would be no way to measure the difference in effect in your situation without spending a lot of money and time. The answer should be pick the cheapest of the two and then go do something useful or fun.

A 0w30 will typically have a better viscosity index, meaning it will flow better at all temperatures.

The whole notion of "0w oils are only needed in cold climates" is just not true.

Use Amsoil signature series 0w30, change it every 10k-15k and you will be in great shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back