hyd tractor fluid in automatic transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 545rfe that the lockup clutch is weak and it shudders underload at fwy speeds in 4th and 5th. Im gonna give the tractor fluid a shot.

Ok , I read your link , while it sounds interesting , I wouldn't want to test it.
So maybe you think Cat To2 fluid would work ?
Or how about trying Allison fluids , maybe a 10w CF approved for Transmission use ?
What I 'm trying to impart is there are many fluids that work in other trans , it is best to use the Mfg approved fluid.
Bottom line ... you can't fix a trans problem with an unapproved fluid.

Ok drained pan on jeep and hyundai and refilled with tractor fluid. hyundai shifts are faster and stall on converter seems lower like the way it drives. Jeep stall seems lower need to drive more. gonna drain refill again on both. Tractor fluid is about 2.25 quart. will update. Im happy with performance of both.

update drained and refilled both shifting great and clutchs seam to be more grabby but smooth im pleased. Im gonna drive jeep in mountains on fri. I will report. think I will send a voa on fluid to blackstone.

I used the supertech utf it has same spec as hy-guard. Jeep is running good. Trip to mt no slipping. seems to make trans feel more solid.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Some people in other forums swear by it. Less clutch wear cooler oil temps.

Swearing by it and proving it are two entirely different things.

I formulate various hydraulic fluids and ATFs. Base oils and additive packages differ greatly among the various fluids with specific additive packages (PI) targeted for specific hydraulic fluids.

While ATF is a hydraulic fluid it is a SPECIFIC hydraulic fluid for a SPECIFIC application, just as UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) is a hydraulic fluid designed for tractor hydraulic applications.

I don't think the long term results will be what you expect.

This is gonna be EPIC if he grenades two tranny's with an experiment!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
This is gonna be EPIC if he grenades two tranny's with an experiment!!!
lol.gif

Do you think OP will post long term results if they are bad?

Quote:
I once bought a few gallons of VERY EXPENSIVE "Racing Transmssion Fluid" with a "Big Name" transmission company label on it....as soon as i opened the cap, I immediately recognized it as tractor hydraulic fluid.

Yea, OK, Uh-huh.

Another internet lubricant chemistry expert. Yawn!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back