Good Oil & Filter Combo for a 2010 Lexus RX350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just traded my Lexus RX300 in on a low mileage 2010 CPO RX350. The owners manual calls for 0W20 and 10k OCI's. I'm not going to skimp on oil and filters but I don't want to waste money either. My first thought is M1 AFE oil and either Pure One or Mobil 1 filters. (I've used those filters in my RX300 but in a different size & style. I've never used that specific oil.)

What do you folks think about the combo of that oil, either filter and a 10k OCI? Will the Pure One last 10k? Will the Mobil 1 AFE?

Thanks,

Bob

I'd actually stick with the Toyota 0W-20, but that's just me. The toyota oil is actually very good, and it will handle a 10k oci.

For the oil filter I would stick with the factory Toyota cartridge filter. You can usually get them at your local Toyota dealer for $3.99 with coupon or a 10-pack on ebay for about $47 shipped, some sellers include new teflon/metal washers as well [which is great because dealers will charge you about $1 each washer]. The 2GR-FE on the 2010 RX350 takes the Toyota part number 04152-YZZA1 filter kit.

The AFE 0W-20 is a great oil and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for 10k OCI in that engine. Although my go-to for 0W-20 is QSUD followed by PP [it's their availability and price win me over]. In reality, I believe that either Mobil 1, PP, QSUD or even the TGMO 0W-20 would protect your engine for a 10k interval so I'd just get whatever was on sale or the least expensive; I personally wouldn't be able to justify spending around $8/quart for a boutique oil such as Enos when about $4.25-$5/quart in a 5-quart jug PP/QSUD/Mobil1 would protect just fine over a typical OCI.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

Walmart has a good price on the M1 AFE 0W20 and with my RX350 using 6.4 quarts, it seemed like a good choice and good place to buy it. The Toyota filter might have a good price but I haven't seen anything that says it's as good as the Pure One or M1 filters. I'm still leaning towards the Pure One that I can easily pick up at AAP. I just wasn't sure about using that combo for 10k.

I think you're on the right track with M1 AFE and M1 filter for 10k. Then get an UOA to ease your mind and set a baseline.

The M1 0-20 with 10K OCIs is a snap in my Fords, and should be in your Toyo engine as well.

Any of the major-brand 0w20 synthetics and the OE filter should serve you fine for the 1-yr/10k interval.

DIY service will save you a load of money over the $250 that the Lexus dealer here charges for a minor 10k service. Granted, they do take care of their clients very well, but it is still a considerable amount of money that could be saved.

Treat yourself and your Lexus - ENEOS 0W-20 (API-SN/RC ILSAC GF-5) and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter.

If you want to feel extra special, go for the ENEOS Sustina 0W-20.

thumbsup2.gif

My thinking behind the Toyota filter is that if Toyota/Lexus use their own cartridge filter for it's factory service of 10k OCI, then it's good enough for your 10k DIY. Besides a multitude of other variables, I don't think Toyota would have necessarily started specifying 10k OCI if their own filters couldn't handle that interval. Here's a comparison showing a Toyota YZZA4 filter compared to a Fram/Microguard/FramExtraGuard, WIX: Toyota Cartridge Oil Filter Comparison I've been using the Toyota cartridge filters on the GF's IS250 on 10k OCI without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back