Does anyone have the Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a pretty good deal on these for my 2007 Infiniti G35x. I don't plan to keep this car for longer than 20k more miles so they fit the budget and performance specs quite well. I'm at $304 shipped after all rebates and price match on these. Then another $60 for balance and install.

I'm interested in quietness and smoothness on the highway, but somewhat grippy since this is a performance sedan. The winter performance looks mediocre but hopefully the AWD will compensate a bit to get me moving when it's slippery. I know that braking may be an issue and it's not just about getting the car going in the winter.

40K Mile Tread wear warranty
225/55R17 97W 420 AA A

Tire Rack tests showed it doing pretty well across the board. I'd go for it, especially at that price.

Oops wrong tire, not the one I had after all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, my father has run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (and now the A/S Plus) on his G35 since the day he got it. I think he's on his 3rd set now. We also ran them on my mom's I30t twice. He's been pretty happy with their road manners and treadlife.

Previous owner of my car put on the same tire. They're actually quite impressive for an all-season. I even had them on the track briefly and they didn't make me nervous in the least.

I should add that we actually run snow tires in the winter, as they blow away even the best all seasons.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus are $706 after rebates plus install on DTD.

Yes, Kumho is always going to win on price.

I used Kumho Ecsta 4X on my 2011 Kia Optima SX for a 9 months (I use dedicated winter tires), but they were more noisy and harsh riding than I wanted at this stage of my life and driving style, so have replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza Serentiy Plus, which are fantastic. The Kumhos were reasonably grippy, although I'm past the age when I push those limits, and had a very crisp steering response. They seemed fine in the wet, but I have no comments about them in snow and ice.

I have them. Try searching the board there is a few posts on them.

pro tip: use google to search bitog.

I went through several sets of the ASXs, which the 4X replaced, on my Saab 9-5 Aero. Then I tried a set of Continental DWSs, wasn't impressed. They did not perform better or last longer than the Kuhmos, yet cost 25% more. I now have two each of the DWSs and 4Xs, when the DWSs wear out I'll go with the 4Xs.

I found these tires to wear well, perform very well in dry and wet, and are fine wrt road noise and comfort. They are iffy in the snow but it doesn't snow much around here.

jeff

I'm surprised, you didn't like the Extreme Contact DWS. They would be my next choice if I were to keep the car longer than 20k miles.

I didn't not like them, they just failed to show me any reason for their 25% higher price. They were good tires, but not a good value. The ASXs, and now the 4Xs, have proven to me (and in TireRack comparos) to be equally good performers as the more expensive brands, with good treadlife and lower prices to boot.

jeff

I've been eyeing these tires ever since I saw the reviews at Tirerack and the fact that my buddy picked up a set for less than $250 from DTD's last $100 promotion + kumho $50 rebate. I'm hoping they repeat that promo again on Memorial Day weekend, since there's conveniently a $50 Kumho rebate again.

I made a thread about them vs DWS on BITOG a while ago.

Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus are $706 after rebates plus install on DTD.

Michelin is always a safe bet and I really like them. I had the Primacy MXV4 on my previous car and loved them and I currently have the Pilot Exalto A/S on another vehicle and they are excellent performers as well.

Being that the Infiniti will serve me no more than 20k miles and possibly only one winter, I can't justify the premium on Michelin's for this vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Michelin is always a safe bet and I really like them. I had the Primacy MXV4 on my previous car and loved them and I currently have the Pilot Exalto A/S on another vehicle and they are excellent performers as well.

Being that the Infiniti will serve me no more than 20k miles and possibly only one winter, I can't justify the premium on Michelin's for this vehicle.

Agreed, I'd go with the those Kumho's without a second thought. You could buy 9 Kumho tires and 22 junior cheeseburgers at Wendys for the price of the Michelins. Not worth it imo.

I have them on my sister's Mazda3 and on my Mazda6, both stock sizes. They ride well, seem to wear well, hold air well, the steering response is better than the ASX they replaced on my Mazda6 and are fairly quiet when new. They also give me great wet traction.

I actually got tires about three months ago. My next tire will be the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 coming in July (I may even spring for these before my current ones wear out); the new asymmetrical design is a big plus for me and one of the reasons I went with the 4X over the current Pilot Sport A/S Plus. The 235/45ZR18 is a little bit of an oddball size on my Mazda6, and the Michelin would have only been about $200 more for the set [this tire size doesn't seem to be inexpensive], but I wasn't too keen on having directional tires.

I just got them on my '06 Mazda 3. Happy with them so far...road noise is a bit higher than I'd have hoped but they ride smooth and steering response is sharp/tight.
Have had them on for 2k miles so far....gas mileage is slightly improved from the worn out Pirelli P6s I had as well.
I think it's a nice tire at a great value. The $50 Kuhmo rebate came quickly as well (within 3 weeks)

Originally Posted By: DFrost
I used Kumho Ecsta 4X on my 2011 Kia Optima SX for a 9 months (I use dedicated winter tires), but they were more noisy and harsh riding than I wanted at this stage of my life and driving style, so have replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza Serentiy Plus, which are fantastic. The Kumhos were reasonably grippy, although I'm past the age when I push those limits, and had a very crisp steering response. They seemed fine in the wet, but I have no comments about them in snow and ice.

Amen! I'm glad this subject came up. I was entertaining the thought of these Ecsta4X.

This is why I am considering Cooper CS4's, Hankook Optimo H727's or some other similar highly rated A/S tires for my '04 Altima 2.5 S in 17"(225-55-17 for use in the summer only).

If I was a bit more of an aggressive driver as I once was, I'd have the Kumho Exsta4X already on the car, specially for the price at DTD
laugh.gif
But, now I want smooth & quiet
smile.gif

The only problem I had was bad flatspotting in the cold
I really like them.

They have Excellent dry traction, amazing wet traction
average->good hydroplane resistance

Excellent road feedback/feel, Average noise... only really loud on broken concrete(what isnt)

Comfort is ~~average..

Winter traction was fine in my subaru.. but I ran snow tires till mid march so I didnt run them in any big storms .. just a few 2" or so days

And Just to elaborate.. This is what I would call a SPORT tire.. not a comfort/touring tire.

I also lost about 5% fuel economy vs the oem special low RR tires.
Which is expected when you switch up to a sport tire with high traction.

The factory tires, It took 1 or 2 skids after some tard pulled out in front of me ... only to turn 50feet ahead suddenly. To make me decide I wanted something with better wet traction. And by wet traction I mean the road is wet/damp..

The factory tires were "ok" in the dry but they were definitely below average in the wet.. even when it was from a passing rainstorm that was over an hour before.

These stick like glue. Very safe.

I'd go so far as to say these have more traction on wet roads than the factory had on dry roads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back