Cheapest small truck/SUV diesel swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading about different swaps. TD27 or QD32 into a Nissan pickup or pathfinder. 1KZ into a 4runner, anything under the sun into a Jeep. TDI or MTDI into a JImmy/Sidekick, etc. Just wondering if anyone has done one, or knows of some, and how much approx. they have in the swap. Not looking for 4x4 extreme builds, just a diesel swap.

I would suspect it would take alot of fabrication and donor vehicles.

so it would vary wildly.

4BT into a Wrangler for sure. I've been wanting one myself. Those motors are plentiful, although they are not refined engines.

Cummins 3BT/4BT Ranger/Explorer. I saw a good write up several years ago on putting a 3BT into a first gen Explorer.

IIRC, people were getting the engines out of step vans.

Old raggedy step van = about $1500
Old raggedy Explorer = about $1500
So for roughly $3K you would have all the major components you need, and would be able to sell off the Explorer's engine/trans if still good and the step van body/frame for at least scrap value.

I looked into this 8 years ago. I concluded that purchasing a vehicle from overseas, possibly "chopped" in half, was the way to go. The "half" a vehicle thing avoids EPA vehicle requirements.

It might be possible to request a CAREFUL chop in half and for one to purchase both halves. But, most of the time, they really are hacked apart.

The problems include getting the right rear axle ratio, the right transmission, the right computer to run the engine and transmission (if it's a computerized vehicle) and the right fuel "lift" pumps and fuel system components.

There are no simple conversions that I know of. Gear ratio differences prevent simply installing a diesel engine and getting acceptable performance.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I looked into this 8 years ago. I concluded that purchasing a vehicle from overseas, possibly "chopped" in half, was the way to go. The "half" a vehicle thing avoids EPA vehicle requirements.

It might be possible to request a CAREFUL chop in half and for one to purchase both halves. But, most of the time, they really are hacked apart.

The problems include getting the right rear axle ratio, the right transmission, the right computer to run the engine and transmission (if it's a computerized vehicle) and the right fuel "lift" pumps and fuel system components.

There are no simple conversions that I know of. Gear ratio differences prevent simply installing a diesel engine and getting acceptable performance.

My thoughts exactly, Why re-invent the wheel.
But I don't get the Cutting in Half thing?
Just get a JDM Toyota Surf or whatever.

At one time I wanted a 70s GMC RV with a diesel engine swapped in. Unfortunately, what I found was:
1. Engine mounts and crossmembers need to be modified
2. The fuel tank had to have a diesel lift pump fitted, and diesel-specific filter fitted.
3. Hydroboost or a vacuum generator was needed to operate power brakes.
4. A new exhaust system would need to be made
5. Special flexplate to fit the transmission

So many things that end up costing $20,000 to make the swap work.

Other vehicles might need the same thing.

I'd find the donor vehicle and work around that. If your wheelbase and mounts are the same then you get around screwy rear ratios, custom driveshafts, etc. For example I wouldn't use a mercedes diesel as a donor since they have wacky power sucking automatic trannies and a wierd rag joint coming out of the trans since they have independent rear suspension. Keep it simple.

They made diesel rangers, s10s, and comanches until the mid 80s. The ranger had an indestructable mazda, the s10 an isuzu, and I think the comanche was some puegot thing.

None had turbos and all made 50-55 hp.

The s10 and blazer body style went to 1993 and mechanically may go beyond that. I'd get a 95 or previous if you have to pass OBDII emissions. Same with the ranger/bronco II/explorer and comanche/XJ cherokee.

I was reading on those bread truck cummins powertrains and at least some of them have a non-performance transmission: They're exclusively governor controlled so shift 1st-2nd at 15 mph regardless on if you're heavily into it or lightly.

Obligatory Dakota rolling coal:

There are more Japanese and Euro pickups and SUV's sold with diesel engines than without - the diesel is more powerful and more economical. The conversion is not hard, and often done here. Pre electronic would be better, so that's TD27T, LD28 or RD28 for Nissan, 2LT for Toyota, 4D56T and 4M40T for Mitsubishi - you just want a mechanical injector pump, not the electronic version or worse a common rail. Lift pump is in the injector pump, so no need for a separate pump, prime pump is on the separate filter housing. Gearing is often the same, but manual gearboxes beefier. Vacuum pump is on the end of the alternator for most, although the 4M40 and later Mazda engines have a gear driven pump.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

They made diesel rangers, s10s, and comanches until the mid 80s. The ranger had an indestructable mazda,

In '85 they replaced that with a Mitsubishi turbo diesel. It only made something like 80 HP, but still, you could say you had a factory turbo diesel Ranger.
grin.gif

Hard to believe Ford would fit a Mitsubishi engine, the 4D55 was a problem engine, but it was better than what Mazda had to offer. The 2.5 4D56 was better, but still had it's problems.

TDI's are easy to find and rebuild if the timing belt snapped.

The worst parts is making sure you get the cluster/throttle pedal/ecu/wiring harness.

Getting the immobilizer tuned out is pretty easy.

I would love a Wrangler with PD130 or tuned ALH in it. Perfect offroad buggy.

Seems like it might not be too bad with a Nissan Xterra or Frontier, they already come with the diesel powertrain overseas that using the same mounting points, would have to work through some electronic issues I am sure though. Surely the Tacoma has a diesel engine overseas?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Hard to believe Ford would fit a Mitsubishi engine, the 4D55 was a problem engine, but it was better than what Mazda had to offer. The 2.5 4D56 was better, but still had it's problems.

Ford was getting diesels from all over the place in the mid 80s. The Lincoln Continental and Mark VII had a BMW diesel available.

They were also using Mitsubishi manual transmissions in some gas Rangers during the 1980s. It might have kept things simple somehow to use a Mitsubishi diesel as well.

Originally Posted By: Coastal
Seems like it might not be too bad with a Nissan Xterra or Frontier, they already come with the diesel powertrain overseas that using the same mounting points, would have to work through some electronic issues I am sure though. Surely the Tacoma has a diesel engine overseas?

There is a TD27T Xterra in the Austin area, but I don't want a 4by with 9 inches of lift. I just want a 2wd diesel suv/truck. The Taco is a Hilux in Japan. They had the 2.4L HG blower long after the Surf swapped over to the 1KZ.

Originally Posted By: expat

My thoughts exactly, Why re-invent the wheel.
But I don't get the Cutting in Half thing?
Just get a JDM Toyota Surf or whatever.

The 1KZ I don't think was ever available on US shores. Most other diesels were, the TD27 was in a forklift, the Isuzu 3.1 was in something, etc.

Originally Posted By: Silk
There are more Japanese and Euro pickups and SUV's sold with diesel engines than without - the diesel is more powerful and more economical. The conversion is not hard, and often done here. Pre electronic would be better, so that's TD27T, LD28 or RD28 for Nissan, 2LT for Toyota, 4D56T and 4M40T for Mitsubishi - you just want a mechanical injector pump, not the electronic version or worse a common rail. Lift pump is in the injector pump, so no need for a separate pump, prime pump is on the separate filter housing. Gearing is often the same, but manual gearboxes beefier. Vacuum pump is on the end of the alternator for most, although the 4M40 and later Mazda engines have a gear driven pump.

From reading on ORE.co.nz, the TD27 seems to be the best swap, unless the Isuzu guys are hiding some secret knowledge. Without electronics, and without having to worry about the 4x4 side, it seems that even the engine mounts are similar if not the same. They also seem to handle boost pretty well. Remove the blow off valve on the IM, bigger exhaust, upgrade the t25, and go to town.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why not buy a diesel pickup (ie., Dodge Ram)?

I have no need for an American diesel pickup. No one please take this personally, but I have nothing to compensate for. I don't need the big truck, I don't need the payload, and I want a diesel because it gets better MPG than a petrol, and buying an American fullsize kills the advantage of the diesel. A diesel hardbody, or even better, and crew cab Frontier with a QD32 or TD27 would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back