What to expect from a fuel filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the old filter was clogged up enough to cause issues, the change would be transparent.

It isn't so much that the fuel delivery will be INcreased as much as it that the fuel deliver will not be DEcreased.

Two things to remember when changing a fuel filter is to use a trouble light (if needed) that does not use the 120V hot incandescent bulbs AND to release any built up fuel line pressure. Even a single drop of gas hitting the hot bulb could pop it and start a gas-fueled fire. Then the fire will instantly be too large to put out.
Unless you are having an issue with a plugged fuel filter, you won't notice any difference. I once saw a fuel filter that had over 200K miles on it that needed to be replaced because it had rusted through and was leaking. Other than that problem, the car ran fine.

Often I would not notice a performance improvement, but I would see brown gasoline spill out of the old filter. That alone makes me feel satisfied that the job was worth doing.

There are some other good reasons to replace the filter regularly.
1. Sometimes rust will build up between the fuel line threads and the threads of the filter. If you replace the filter often enough, this doesn't happen.
2. Sometimes the snap lock fittings get harder to remove as the car gets older. This advice times 10,000 if you are replacing a fuel filter on a Ford engine.

As stated, don't expect anything to change, unless it's been too long.

I'd rather change a filter than a pump, so I do them every ~60k for piece of mind..

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I find that if you change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles the old ones have a fair amount of resistance when you blow through them compared to new filters. I am for changing them frequently to avoid over working the fuel pump.

That's because the filter media is wet in one and dry in the other one, not because the one with 10k miles on is clogged.
Soak the new filter in fuel and then try blowing through it, I bet the resistance will be very similar to the old filter.
After the initial check, which blew all the free fuel out of the filter, it sat for about a month or more, then I tried blowing through it again and it was still very difficult to blow through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back