Cleaning radiator of bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately with the warmer weather I noticed the electric radiator fans (Rav-4) been coming on sitting at lights way more often than normal. Fluid level fine & thermostat replaced about 6 month ago.
Today I looked at it and noticed so many bugs on the ac condenser (I drive through farm land to/from work a good bit), plus top & bottom of radiator, and was surprise how many was on the front of the radiator behind the condenser. So decided to do some cleaning.
Since I had a couple tall cans of window foam cleaner (given when I got the tint job... I use Stoners glass cleaner for the glass anyway), I decided to spray the radiator and condenser allowing layers of foam to work from top to bottom. Used up both cans. The front end was dripping like a rabied Rav.
Then using a nozzle I flushed from the engine side. There was so many bug pieces streaming down the driveway. After done, picked out a few small rock (or something hard) pieces from the condenser and exposed parts (top & bottom) of the radiator, and straightened out some battered fins. Amazing how much bug junk came out.
Driving in the warm temps today the fans didn't keep coming on at stops, so I'm satisfied of the difference short of pulling the radiator.

Now that I think of it, is there a better way short of pulling the radiator? I had figured the foam soak softened up the bugs making it easy to back flush those creatures out with water. Maybe there's something better? I used up my free cans of window cleaner.
Will be a taking day long drive trip (1-way) in a few days and this got me to thinking. I don't have any bugs-b-gone.

Probably a good washing with a detergent that makes good suds, a stream of water, and a little elbow grease would clean it up fine. Spray water from both engine and outside directions.

When I read this I thought about the trick of putting a small amount of dish washing detergent into a spray bottle and spraying it all down when it is cool.

Then either hit it with a pressure washer, or your hose with a decent stream attachment.

I've driven though Louisiana after a tropical storm came through there. I had to pull over at every gas station I could find to continually clean my windshield. My wipers would only smear the mess.
It was the only time in my life that there was a LINE of people to use a squeegee at a gas station, as I was not the only motorist with this issue.

31eXo-iWuIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That may be a better cleaner than window cleaner. It is specifically designed to clean condensers. Nu Calgon is pretty good brand, but pricy. Walmart has a similar coil cleaner by frost king for around $7 a can.

Careful with high pressure, if your rad is older this can cause an issue!

On many cars you can simply set up a sprinkler to repeatedly water the front end. As long as the water physically strikes the bugs they will soften and fall apart in less than 30 minutes. If your car has a deeply recessed rad this may not work well.

No chemistry needed, just get them wet and keep them wet for a while and they are history.

Just use a pressure washer and dishwashing soap. Don't get so close you damage the radiator, but close enough to remove the bugs, dirt and debris.

I've cleaned many an old radiator with a pressure washer and some dishwashing soap.

Could try throwing some screen in front. I'd wire it up behind the bumper air inlet but not underneath. IOW give it some space if it gets clogged for air to find another less aerodynamic way in.

I know more than a few people who have had their jeep overheat from mud plugging the radiator. They just spray with a pressure washer and it cleans out.

Smart thing to do. I'd be worried about ammonia and alcohols under the hood and on the paint. I'd probably rather try some car was soap, ONR, or dish washing detergent if really greasy/grimey.

You could always spray on Simple Green. Let it sit then rinse it off with a garden hose with not too aggressive spray though.

With every car I have ever had, I have always put a mesh screen (from a screen window replacement kit from Home Depot etc..not metal) in front of the condensor/radiator secured by zip ties. Every single condensor/radiator has had perfectly straight cooling fins across the entire surface, been bug and rock free and always performed flawlessly.

Too many times this rather delicate bit of equipment gets beat up over time, each year its performance degrades. While if your car has A/C the condensor airflow gets restricted that affects the radiator behind it, so it is good preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Could try throwing some screen in front. I'd wire it up behind the bumper air inlet but not underneath. IOW give it some space if it gets clogged for air to find another less aerodynamic way in.

Winner. My dad did that on many a truck that operated near marshland where flying insects were measured by bugs per cubic inch. Cheap piece of coarse screen between the radiator and grill is a labor saver. Also cuts down on the occasional rock/garbage that gets thrown into a condenser core.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30
31eXo-iWuIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That may be a better cleaner than window cleaner. It is specifically designed to clean condensers. Nu Calgon is pretty good brand, but pricy. Walmart has a similar coil cleaner by frost king for around $7 a can.

Ahhh this would have been a good alternative had I known before the cleaning. Next time I'll check for it.

Thanks all for the replies. Had I also known how bad the bugs were going to be lately when the weather broke loose, perhaps I'll screen the front as mentioned. It was real bad recently. I was going through a lot of windshield cleaner, using Stoner's glass cleaner every morning before heading off to work, and daily cleaning up the front end with detail spray. It got so bad a few times it darkened the use of my headlights in late evenings. I had no choice but spend extra clean time.
One type of bug (don't know what it is) has a somewhat clear & cream color splat that's large and hardens. Took a bit of elbow grease, soaking & MF towels to work the gut piles down.
We had a couple years that the grasshoppers got so bad, it slicked up the roadway. I could see the darkened slick way down the road from the tires. Motorcycle riders even stopped riding the route then. They were thick like an invasion. Smelled up cooking on the exhaust & engine parts.

I feel better cleaning the radiator some (in addition to oil/filter change & few other minor things), as we are going on a trip to include a good bit of mountain road climbs. I'm approaching 200k on the poor ol Rav, but it gets better mileage than the other vehicles & is set (detector, gps) now ready for a couple day long runs loaded. Besides, the 2 doggies are used to it. Gonna be crowded but I get the driver seat.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.... wished I had asked sooner before cleaning, but think the cleaning was effective. (Oh and I used a brass nozzle on the hose that gave it a good pressure stream).

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
With every car I have ever had, I have always put a mesh screen (from a screen window replacement kit from Home Depot etc..not metal) in front of the condensor/radiator secured by zip ties. Every single condensor/radiator has had perfectly straight cooling fins across the entire surface, been bug and rock free and always performed flawlessly.

Great idea. Have pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back