15% Ethanol Coming??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salv
E15 won't work in any Hyundai, I can say that for a fact. 11% ethanol will trip a check engine light. The knock sensors won't keep up. In fact, if you bring a Hyundai in for a check engine light, even if it is only a day old, and the gasoline registers more than 10% ethanol, the owner is on the hook for diag, purging the "bad gas", new gas, and any damage done.

That's kinda surprising. Especially considering adding ethanol won't make it ping more, so the knock sensor should have nothing to do with it. I'd expect that going too far with the ethanol would throw a CEL for running lean when the computer hits the limit of how much extra fuel it'll add based on O2 sensor feedback.

I know the limit of my Jeep is somewhere north of E40. It'll add up to 30% extra fuel. I think it would get to somewhere around E65 - E70 before hitting that limit (and I'd also be maxing out my injectors at WOT and high rpm right around E65).

Originally Posted By: salv
E15 won't work in any Hyundai, I can say that for a fact. 11% ethanol will trip a check engine light. The knock sensors won't keep up. In fact, if you bring a Hyundai in for a check engine light, even if it is only a day old, and the gasoline registers more than 10% ethanol, the owner is on the hook for diag, purging the "bad gas", new gas, and any damage done.

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've heard in a long time. I've filled my Elantra at a blender pump a number of times, often going as high as E-15. I've never had a single issue, never had a check engine light, and never noticed any difference in drivability between that and regular E-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back