New Sandals smell like Harbor Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that smell when in Harbor Freight, like some combination of rubber and plastic that I have some to associate with products from China.

Well, I was in everybody's favorite mass retailer/ purveyor of Chinese goods last week and found a set of flip/flops sandals of tolerable design and price and took them home.

I had not realized that smell was coming from them, but when I did, I scrubbed them with a fingernail brush and some dawn dish soap and hung them out to dry, yet the smell was not attenuated at all. From several feet away, on a windy day, I could smell them.

They have been hanging outside for 4 days now, in the sun and rain, and the smell has reduced by perhaps 50%.

Honestly I wish I didn't remove the stickers and attempt to wash them as I would just return them. They just smell so chemically wrong, I do not want to put my feet into them lest such unknown chemicals pass into my body.

Any hope they will eventually stop off gassing this noxious chemical odor? Anybody know what it is and how dangerous, or not, it might be?

It's not far off from "new car smell". I'd guess a volatile petrochemical like a plasticizer. Could also be a formaldehyde like in carpet glue. Give them time. Leave them in direct sunlight.

I've never had any footwear that smelled this strongly when new. I think I'd rather smell foot cheese than this eye watering Chinese rubber smell you can practically see.

Is the weather warm where you are? If so, leave them outside to bake in the sun for a couple of days. That should help.

Couple days were in the mid 80's. They are hanging in the sunlight. I'll give them a few more days, or until my current set self destructs.

Just give it time... Whenever I buy a new shower curtain, I have to air it out for a week before I can install it, but it eventually stops smelling like toxic death.

If you still have the receipt - take them back. Print out that snopes article too if you're worried they won't return them.

Go to sierratradingpost, sign up for their deal flyer - order some good, name brand sandals when you get a good coupon via email.
Or go to 6pm.com, overstock, etc. $15 will get you a nice pair (that were originally way overpriced). Oh and they'll be comfortable, unlike that plastic shtuff from wallyworld - why would you buy those? You're Californian! You should know that a sandals should be comfy and worn whenever possible!

When you buy [censored], often you get.... [censored]! It is easy enough to avoid the Chinese garbage. The reality is that most people are too cheap to do it.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Throw them out - a trip to the doctor with a strange foot rash will be a lot more expensive, not to mention pain and suffering.

Don't forget all the junk on the ground that your feet will come in contact with while wearing sandals. They truly are the grossest (is that a word) form of footwear. Do yourself a favor and skip the sandals. Not only will you stop looking rediculous you may prevent a nasty infection.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Wea...ble__a1951.html

http://collegecandy.com/2009/08/18/your-flip-flops-will-kill-you/

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/he...2#ixzz0Nt1YhbEA

Do you wear rubber gloves for all of the surfaces that you may touch throughout the day?

If your body can't handle walking around without shoes and socks, that's pretty sad. Nothing like sand between your toes
05.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Do you wear rubber gloves for all of the surfaces that you may touch throughout the day?

If your body can't handle walking around without shoes and socks, that's pretty sad. Nothing like sand between your toes
05.gif

No but people don't routinely spit, vomit, spill things, dogs don't typically urinate or deficate, etc. in the places I put my hands on. In short, I don't walk around on my hands and the nastiness that generally is the ground. I won't even discuss the nastiness that is wearing sandals in a public restroom.

Nothing wrong with germs - I'm not a gemophobe. But I wouldn't go out looking for germs either.

Sorry, sandals are germ breeding grounds (fact) and are not attractive at all (subjective) and should not be worn except in very narrow circumstances.

I don't peruse Bitog for fashion advice. I simply can't be bothered with other peoples opinions on that.

Sandals are convenient, and I 'll happily go barefoot before putting on my tennis shoes.

I generally scrub my sandals daily with a bristle brush, as they certainly can get funky. I also use various tools to keep my foot callouses from getting too thick, otherwise they crack and bleed. I am not one of those pink footed Nancy's that can't step on a pebble without watering their eyes.

I agree these wally world purchased sandals were a very poor purchase I regret. I pretty much regret every time I step into wally world, and getting out quickly is first and foremost in my mind. I do not have the receipt. I usually get drug store sandals in the 8 to 12 dollar range as I have found some which last as long as the higher end name brand sandals, but these are seasonable and not in season yet apparently.

All my higher dollar sandal purchases have not been worth the extra spent.

The sandals in question are still stinky, still hanging in the sunlight, and will remain there until I can't smell that horrendous chemical stank, from 5 feet away or more.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

The sandals in question are still stinky, still hanging in the sunlight, and will remain there until I can't smell that horrendous chemical stank, from 5 feet away or more.

And then they'll just slowly give you cancer without the tell-tale odour
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back