ATF in as injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about a dozen 1L bottles of Shell Dexron III ATF that a friend gave me when his service station closed down. I don't have a automatic or power steering.

Someone suggested using it as injector cleaner but when I googled it I couldn't find a mix ratio, also while lots have use it in there fuel just as many say that they would never use it.

I don't really want to throw them out but I have no other use for them and they are out of date.

Any thoughts on this?

Seriously doubtful it'll clean anything. Added to your fuel, its oily though, but chances are it burning will leave more ashy deposits in your motor then it cleans out.

Gas or diesel? I e used ATF to prefill secondary fuel filters on MB diesels, but they aren picky to fuel. I'd not do it again as there are better things to use.

It may well burn just fine but I think there are. Enter ways to get rid of it.

With all the different products for cleaning injectors why use ATF? Maybe you can pass it on to someone else the same way your friend passed it onto you, or find another use for it. I made some nice bar oil with old stuff I had laying around here. Granted it took quite a few years to use up.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
How soon you guys forget?!?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=288545&page=1

I remember this one. ATF and MMO massive dose = no harm.

and another

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=297922&page=1

I'd use it as MMO - 4oz per 10 gal and burn the stuff if you want to.

Yes! Had been looking for the post on top for a very, very long time. Gary Allan says that there are many folks that put in a quart of automatic transmission fluid and a quart of MMO in a brand new vehicle and report no problems and pretty good results..

Remember, that takes some tankfuls to run itself all the way out, as well.

So, again, how about it, how would a quart of ATF with or without a quart of MMO (similar to ATF and has kerosene in it?) - be at cleaning the whole fuel system? Maybe for one tankful for a great long interval to not muck anything up with too much ATF?

Maybe used for cleaning for a road trip?
wink.gif

Well...ATF contains little or no detergents and does contain dispersants and other additives that form an abrasive ash when burned. I know that people have used it for all kinds of goofy things and reported no trouble, but it is not a problem solver either.

Use ATF in transmissions. Use a fuel additive that is effective on the specific fuel problem you're having.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: surfstar
How soon you guys forget?!?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=288545&page=1

I remember this one. ATF and MMO massive dose = no harm.

and another

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=297922&page=1

I'd use it as MMO - 4oz per 10 gal and burn the stuff if you want to.

Yes! Had been looking for the post on top for a very, very long time. Gary Allan says that there are many folks that put in a quart of automatic transmission fluid and a quart of MMO in a brand new vehicle and report no problems and pretty good results..

Remember, that takes some tankfuls to run itself all the way out, as well.

So, again, how about it, how would a quart of ATF with or without a quart of MMO (similar to ATF and has kerosene in it?) - be at cleaning the whole fuel system? Maybe for one tankful for a great long interval to not muck anything up with too much ATF?

Maybe used for cleaning for a road trip?
wink.gif

I'd skip the ATF. If you want to clean injectors Techron, or RL's fuel injector cleaner work well. MMO is a good UCL does some cleaning, will keep them clean and lubed, but doesn't clean injectors as well as the other two products I mentioned.

I always thought it was ATF in the crankcase as a "motor flush" back in the 60s...lol. But yes, then there was speculation that MMO was simply ATF with some good smell odor LOL....and so Gary Allen took it to the next level, or running it in the fuel, etc.....

I'd say If you just want to get rid of it, sure go ahead and run it...4 oz. per 10 gallons, it can't hurt...I know in 1 of the MMO threads, someone did the math, even at 4 oz. per 10 gallons, that's the equivalent of burning a quart of oil every 2k I believe...can't remember the exact value...but it can't hurt I suppose :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back