Castrol Edge w/ Titanium or Pennzoil Platinum???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, ive been doing lots of research on here and am hearings some good things about Pennzoil Platinum. Ive always heard that Pennzoil had wax in it or something but after doing research here at BITOG I see thats not the case...I just bought 5 quarts of Castrol Edge w/ Titanium and ill be using for the next oil change. Ive heard on here that the Edge doesnt have the best additives and they wear out fast. Ill be running a 5000 mile oci with the Edge. Which oil has more moly? I see honda engines seem to favor more moly. The place i used to get the oil changed at uses castrol products so my car always got Syntec. The engine always seems to rattle on start up and its a bit noisy when cold. Is the PP any better than the castrol edge?? what would you guys recommend for the next oil change?? Ive also heard that castrol edge isnt even a real synthetic? that makes me a little upset. is PP a real synthetic? thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ive also heard that castrol edge isnt even a real synthetic?

Don't believe everything you hear.

It's all marketing...

For example: product "A" is 0.2% better than product "B", while product "C" gains 37% more customer satisfaction than that of "D", etc.

It's just marketing. My take is that so long as the oil meets/exceeds requirements and specifications, I really don't care which oil cleans 10% better than the others.

Q.

Both oils are great choices for your car.
As for the rattle, a long shot but what filter is used on your car? Try an OEM Honda filter. I know Hyudai engines sound better on start up with an OEM filter - less rattles. Hyundai issued a TSB on using OEM filters.

They're both group III oils. The Castrol has a higher TBN (not sure how important that is) but in the end,it all comes down to personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Both oils are great choices for your car.
As for the rattle, a long shot but what filter is used on your car? Try an OEM Honda filter. I know Hyudai engines sound better on start up with an OEM filter - less rattles. Hyundai issued a TSB on using OEM filters.

right now it has a napa pro select on it (thats what the shop uses) it has castrol syntec 5w20 in it now too. I have Castrol Edge w/ Titanium and Fram Ultra waiting to go in.

i believe castrol says EDGE W/TI is good for 15k miles. it has a high TBN and should be suitable for long drains.

I currently have it in my S2000 and i changed the oil for my parents the other day with it. I called my mom today and she said her car armada ran smoother today when she went to town. thumb up for EDGE FST making a woman notice the car running different!

Don't worry about things you hear - only worry about things you read on BITOG ; )

Also note: when you hear the term 'real synthetic', ignore everything attached to it. There are a half dozen ways to create extremely high quality basestocks - polymerization of alpha-olefins is one method. Hydroisomerization is another. The Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) / Fischer–Tropsch process is a third. Some motor oil manufacturers will try to tell you the basestocks they use are better than the basestocks the other guy uses - Don't listen.

For a 5k OCI, I doubt it matters go with whatever is cheaper. I ran the Edge for 15k, the Platinum I ran to 12k and it had a lil life left in it. If it was for the sake of a longer OCI, then I say EDGE.

For a 5000 mile change, I'd just run whichever synthetic is on sale at the time. They're all pretty close under normal service.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Go with Pennzoil Ultra,and everything will be alright....

Likely the best "walmart" synthetic you can buy. And pretty high up there compared to everything else.

Nothing but props for Ultra.

gregk24, please read this!! Both oils are very high quality, way more than most of our cars need (especially for 5k). You have The Edge w/Ti and a Fram Ultra. STICK WITH IT. You have got the "oil bug" and as has been explained before... Did you put much thought into your oil changes before you became a BITOG member?? NO. SO...Edge with Ti is an outstanding oil and so is PP. You are splitting hairs.

If you keep posting like this constantly people will not take you seriously at all.
It took you 20 posts to pick a filter don't make another 20 to pick your oil.(you picked a great filter at least)
wink.gif

take care man

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
gregk24, please read this!! Both oils are very high quality, way more than most of our cars need (especially for 5k). You have The Edge w/Ti and a Fram Ultra. STICK WITH IT. You have got the "oil bug" and as has been explained before... Did you put much thought into your oil changes before you became a BITOG member?? NO. SO...Edge with Ti is an outstanding oil and so is PP. You are splitting hairs.

If you keep posting like this constantly people will not take you seriously at all.
It took you 20 posts to pick a filter don't make another 20 to pick your oil.(you picked a great filter at least)
wink.gif

take care man

Yes oil and filter have always concerned me. thats why im starting to do it on my own so i can choose my own oil and filter. I am being serious, im just OCD. especially when it comes to my ride. If i had read up more on castrol i probably would have went with the pennzoil. Seems it has better reviews.

For the same price, I'd take castrol titanium. It is a bit more robust. But you can hardly ever get it for as cheap as PP. PP is a dang good oil, too.

PP is extremely popular here and for good reason, but the Edge FST is Castrol's top tier lube and IMO it has the "Edge" (pun intended) on PP. There are several posts on this thread telling you the same thing, relax.

The only "mistake" you'll make will be if you drain the Edge at a measly 5k.
frown.gif

We have the Edge FST in our KIA right now and wow does it run smooth and quiet. I am bummed I'm going to have to change it at 7k due to the warranty.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
For the same price, I'd take castrol titanium. It is a bit more robust. But you can hardly ever get it for as cheap as PP. PP is a dang good oil, too.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back