2006 Duramax diesel with Sodium but no Potassium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to get to the bottom of why my oil samples keep coming back with high sodium, Just sodium no potassium which i know the combination means coolant. Just having the sodium without the other half(potassium) is what is throwing me for a loop.

Heres a litle history with the truck...
-I bought it at 107k and noticed shortly after that i had a very small external head gasket leak on the passenger side head. The leak was so small that i could never see it actaully wet all i could see was the crusty dried coolant and i knew this was a common problem for these engines from working at the local dealership for a year and a half. Oil analysis at 111k came back with sodium at a 5 and potassium at a 3. I relaced the head gaskets at about 113k if i remember correctly.
-Next oil analysis was at 119k after replacing the head gaskets and running it for 6500miles on the oil. This one came back with a sodium count of 24 potassium 0.
-Next oil analysis was at 129k and it came back with sodium at 31 and potassium at 0 again.

So what i get from these is that my first sample before the head gasket replacement was probably leaking a little antifreeze internally also that i didnt know about. I cant figure out where im continueing to get this sodium from, Only thing i can think of is maybe the bottle or jug that im using to hold the oil in? Im getting the oil from work(valvoline 15w40) out of our bulk tanks but have to put it in smaller jugs to get it home. Even with this though i find it hard to believe that this is continuing to happen over multiple oil changes.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've got another used oil sample to send in right now as with a sample out of the jug of new oil that went into the truck.

Many Valvoline oils use a sodium addative. I couldn't find a VOA of their 15w-40, but sodium alone may be that.

Do a virgin oil analysis of what you're using or try a run of Rotella and see what happens with that UOA.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Many Valvoline oils use a sodium addative. I couldn't find a VOA of their 15w-40, but sodium alone may be that.

Do a virgin oil analysis of what you're using or try a run of Rotella and see what happens with that UOA.

I talked to one of their "Reps" at work about it and she said they didnt use it. I will let the VOA that i will be sending in soon prove or disprove that.

Depending on what i get back from this next UOA and the VOA i may switch to Rotella and see if the sodium drops off. Only bad thing is it seems like when i switch oils it takes a few samples before the copper drops off which im told is "cooper leaching" from the oil cooler and similar when switching oils.

It's not at all unheard of to have uninformed people answer Q's about lubes ... I don't know who "she" is that you refer to at work, but what is her qualification for answering such a question, and is she "up to date"? Many lubes are now showing up with sodium as an additive now, so this will confound folks with older information.

Best idea is where you're headed; get a VOA!

Cu spikes are not uncommon in Dmax engines. I would ask that you spend some time reading my "normalcy" article; see the sticky's. I have a lot of info regarding the Dmax in that article.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Last edited:
I'm dealing with a similar issue on a GM 5.3L in a 2008 Avalanche. High sodium with no K or glycol. I added 6 GM pills to the coolant to try a quick fix on a possible HG leak and the next UOA showed NA dropped from 140 to 48 ppm. Cu also dropped from 40 to 22 and PB dropped from 13 to 6. I'll have to look for guidance on how often to add the pills to the DexCool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back