kerosene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a very small farming town and overherd some farmers talking about putting kerosene in the crankcase to clean out the engine. Several other people I talked to said they used to do it when they were kids and it worked really well.

Anyways, would adding kerosene in a 2002 vehicle clean it out and most importantly IS IT SAFE???

thanks.

I use it in some cars that NEED it. imo, it'll soften the sludge for ARX to work better on it. It seems mild compared to Berryman's and SeaFoam. It seems to have a bit of lubricating quality in itself. Yeah, use it on beater or abused cars. Start w/ 1/2q in a cold engine, let idle for 10 min, give it a lil rev and drain. ARX after.

how do you tell if a car needs it? Ive herd everyone talking about arx, and figured maybe I should give my engine a flush. However Im working less than part time this semester and the kerosene seemed a more affordable root.

I use a good oil and filter, and change the oil regularly. so maybe I dont even need it?

Kerosene is the typical "distillate" used in 5-10 minute engine flushes.
Last time I checked, kerosene was ~$5 a gallon which can be split between 4-8 flushes. Thats cheap compared to ANY OTC product.

If you use it that way, use it with the same OTC type instructions:

Add 1 pint to 1 quart to oil.
Add only to cold engine.
Run 5-10 minutes at idle, no load and no driving.
Do not use with warm or hot engine.
Shut down and change oil and filter.

Once every 3rd oil change will keep an engine clean.

Other products like biodiesel, diesel, lamp oil.....can also be used the same way. Just make sure your engine seal materials are compatible(most are).

Using a good oil and changing regularly, IMO, negates the need of any flushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back