Stick On Wide Angle Blind Spot Mirrors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has one on the drivers side only (factory). I am looking for a replacement set of mirrors for the truck with the integrated blind spot mirrors on both sides.

I like being able to see a lot more. I have also learned to appreciate them more driving the bigger trucks at work. They take a little getting used to but after you learn them driving a vehicle that doesnt have them feels like something is lacking.

I've had them on our last 5 vehicles and swear by them. In response to Kuato--I like to have my mirrors adjusted so I can see just a slight edge of my vehicle because it gives me a point of reference. The 2006 Ranger extended-cab I have has the factory flag mirrors, and there's a blind spot when cars are on my left and up to the rear edge of my door--can't see them at all and have been surprised a few times (only vehicle that I've ever had that was like this). Without them on my Ranger, I can't see the rear wheels or what's around them, but with the stick-on round mirrors, can see all. As earlyre mentioned, my sister-in-law has the panoramic inside rearview mirror--think it helps her a lot, because she's such a terrible driver.

When I adjust my non-convex mirrors to not include the side of my car on the innermost 10% I lose my frame of reference. In other words I count on seeing my car where I always see it on the edge of the glass to ensure my mirrors are adjusted right. Adjusting them to exclude my car entirely assumes my head is in exactly the same place all the time when I drive. I wind up getting concerned and bobble-heading.

The 2" convex is good for motion detection, seeing a car zip into my blind spot when I wouldn't be checking, eg just cruising along. If I were doing a lane change or whatever I still rubberneck for a manual check.

Wow, thanks for the lively discussion. It seems that there are more likes than dislikes regarding these blind spot mirrors.

For reference, here are several links to the "new" mirror adjustment guidelines that differ than the old way of having a bit of your car show in the side mirrors:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Most common seems to be the round mirror located in the bottom outside corner. BUT....

- There are many shapes and sizes of mirrors:
BSMIRRORS.JPG

- There are discussions about best placement:
spotMirrorLocation.gif

- Finally, there is this self proclaimed "best" blind spot mirror: Has anyone used the MAXIVIEW mirror shown in this video?:

You know what? ANYTHING that allows you to see your blind spots is good and valid. I use a little rectangular mirror with a ball/socket joint on the D/S. I, obviously, can turn my head, but this allows me to see the same thing without doing so. They are valuable, but there isn't a way I can think of to find ONE design right for everyone.

The most important thing is get off the phone and DRIVE. Most drivers don't really drive.

Figure out how to resolve that issue!

My fave blind spot mirror...

Mirror

Just my own, perhaps not yours.

Last edited:
My door mirrors are rather large, and they came with 3 inch blind spot mirrors on them in the lower outside corners.

I have no windshield mounted rear view mirror.

The convex mirrors were getting cracked and crazed and I replaced them with smaller mirrors, but these are mounted on a rotating incline so I can dial them in so I can just see the back tires, and they still cover the traditional blind spot locations. I moved my drivers side mirror to the upper outside and passenger side outside lower.

My Mirrors are adjusted so I can just barely see the side of my vehicle.

I drove for a day without the mirrors installed and disliked it immensely. Took a little getting used to the smaller [censored] mirrors and the new location on my drivers side mirror, but I like them a lot as the other mirrors showed 50% sky, and now I can dial them in to see 75% road.

I've read that some people complain about the "new" methodology mirror adjustment because it makes the mirrors less useful for backing up, seeing parking lines, curbs, etc.? True or false?

And, some people say that the use of these blind spot mirrors might cause some trouble if you rely on them too much (not turn your head at all) in some situations: i.e., driving on a three or more lane highway and you move left while at the same time someone 2 lanes over moves right. Possible??

Thanks for all the input.

I don't think I could drive without them any more. They cover the blind spot and aid in entry on the highway and moving over to the fast lane(s).

They take some getting used to, but are an essential part of the package. I put mine in the low-outside positions.

^I remember people buying curb feelers for that very purpose in the 70's. Then, they became an automotive fashion accessory in the 80's. Don't see them around anymore.

If your car allows such an adjustment. Until I got my Protégé 5 I was able to adjust my mirrors for little or no bling spot. The P5 will not adjust this way and I added the little round mirrors.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
They do widen the area you can see in the mirrors.

However IMO if the mirrors are adjusted correctly you will be able to see everything you need to. (on most vehicles)

So many people set their side view mirrors so they can see the side of the vehicle. Wrong. Assuming two side view mirrors and normal binocular vision, IMHO the view at the edges of the rear view should just barely overlap what you see in the side views. Then your peripheral vision slightly overlaps the other edge of the side view. That way you can see all behind you without looking over your shoulder. There's no reason to see the same vehicle behind you in all 3 mirrors!

I've always found it's easiest to adjust either by getting someone to walk behind the vehicle from side to side, or by getting out on the highway and maneuvering to get the views you need to get things properly adjusted.

Stupid autocorrect, not bling spot, blind spot.
I use the steps spelled out by Car Talk and put my head near the drivers window and set that mirror. Then move my head near the middle of the car to set my passenger side mirror. That provides little or no overlap.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Kuato
They do widen the area you can see in the mirrors.

However IMO if the mirrors are adjusted correctly you will be able to see everything you need to. (on most vehicles)

So many people set their side view mirrors so they can see the side of the vehicle. Wrong. Assuming two side view mirrors and normal binocular vision, IMHO the view at the edges of the rear view should just barely overlap what you see in the side views. Then your peripheral vision slightly overlaps the other edge of the side view. That way you can see all behind you without looking over your shoulder. There's no reason to see the same vehicle behind you in all 3 mirrors!

I've always found it's easiest to adjust either by getting someone to walk behind the vehicle from side to side, or by getting out on the highway and maneuvering to get the views you need to get things properly adjusted.

+1

+2

I know what the side of my vehicle looks like - no reason to need to see it in my mirrors.

I use them on all my cars and mount them on the lower outside corner. I also signal before merging or changing lanes, so if I don't see someone at least they'll know what I'm doing haha.

In this area you have to be careful with signaling. No more than three blinks - while you are doing the lane change. About half the morons around here will speed up to try to close the gap if you signal too much in advance. If you don't believe me ask anybody on here who drives in Dallas.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
In this area you have to be careful with signaling. No more than three blinks - while you are doing the lane change. About half the morons around here will speed up to try to close the gap if you signal too much in advance. If you don't believe me ask anybody on here who drives in Dallas.

Yeah I do that. My signal is not asking, it's telling.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

maybe this is why my brother had the super mega convex mirrors on the neon when i bought it...(seriously he had 3" blindspot mirrors on a mirror maybe 5 inches wide. they covered like 3/4 of the mirror)
His daily commute is from NRH to roughly Love field..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back