Valvoline Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal experience, vwb is what I was using on my 2009 sierra with the 5.3, and one day I decided to run pp, well pp is what is currently in there (it's been a month now) with pp my truck has a slight knock I never noticed with vwb.

any oil of the correct grade and API rating is perfect for most chevy engines. as long as and oil meets GM6094m and GM4718 and or is dexos approved or meets the specs for dexos approval it is suitable for chevy engines from the cavalier to the ZR1.

Almost all name brand oils meet the specs for most gm cars/trucks

and almost All the name brand synthetics meet or exceed the Dexos requirements.

VWB is more than adequate for your silverado or your suburban. check the manual and see which spec your trucks require then check the labels on the bottles to make sure it meets the spec you need. VWB will meet your engines specs.

Last edited:
I used VWB on numerous vehicles for many years with OCIs up to 5000 miles, no oil related issues, no sludging, and low wear numbers in UOAs. Go for it.

With GM leaky intake gaskets, you might want to stick to an oil without a sodium add pack to make UOA easier to read.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
With GM leaky intake gaskets, you might want to stick to an oil without a sodium add pack to make UOA easier to read.

I'm pretty sure a lot of those leaky intakes have been taken care of by now

I have owned at least one Chevy for the last 25 years, none of them have seemed picky about oil at all.

Valvoline seems to work well in just about everything, I have it in our remaining Chevy now. There are some UOA's on here using Valvoline in GM products that look absolutely fantastic.

VWB is the perfect oil for most engines...so long as it's used for the correct oci and in the correct sae grade. I use it and like it very much.

I don't know if it's any better than anything else, but for older engines I'm partial to it because of the VR1 version, which is readily available. I mix VR1 with white bottle conventional to moderate the ZDDP content. It can also help tweak the viscosity vs what's available in VR1.
Other than that they're the same oil, so they're a natural fit for mixing with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back