V12 and V4 LS engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love a V4 in my Subaru!
smile.gif

On the real engine front, GM is about to release the new 4.3 V6, which is based on the LS engine series.

Here is a thread describing their complete approach:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1643786-v12-ls1-build.html

Apparently this is not a "May Fools" joke or a Photoshop exercise. Cutting and welding the block and heads together is one thing. They are also cutting the crank and cam, then putting them back together. They are bolting the crank together at the center main, instead of welding it, which is a point in their favor. I think they are trying a little too hard to do this on the cheap. The crank and cams should be made from scratch if they want an engine that will do more than start, idle, and drive into an auto show.

They have built an engine to put into a 3/4-scale P51 Mustang, and did invest in a billet crank for that. Don't ask me to take a flight in it, though.

OK, I'll play the contrarian. The engine builder is cutting up 90 degree V8s. As one of the replies in the link said It is a V16 with 4 cylinders missing, not a 60' "real" V 12. The 4.0 Cologne V 6 in my Ranger is a purpose built 6 and has a 60' V block. Why not do it right? 8 liter ~ 488 ci.

A V-12 doesn't need to be 60 degrees, 120 degrees, or 180 degrees to be a "proper" V-12, as a straight 6 can be balanced perfectly, and a 90 degree V-Twin can be perfect primary, making any 90 degree V combination "proper".

People have been making V4-V16 small blocks for decades.

Got a mag somewhere where a drag racer was making frankenstien 4V cleveland head for fitment on a 300 C.I. straight six.

That V12 would be a perfect motor for a full size Cadillac to let it compete with the big boys.

1988. By a guy with the same last name that did the soundtrack for the Scarface movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cizeta-Moroder_V16T

Cizeta Moroder V16T

And, of note:

Quote:
this is the actual pre-production design for the Lamborghini Diablo.

Chrysler softened the Diablo's lines however, and Gandini decided to make his own supercar. This is the result. You could say this car is more Lamborghini Diablo than the actual Lamborghini Diablo itself...

And, if this video is not glorification of that thing, then nothing is.

http://www.falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php?v12=main

Ryan Falconer has been making V12 engines for many years. At the Oshkosh "fly in" , many years ago, there was a 3/4 ? scale P51 Mustang with a Falconer V12 engine.

Not sure if it flew in under it's own power, but it sure looked like it did.

falconer_v12_main.jpg

Here is a homebuilt P51 with a Falconer V12, based on the Chevy Small Block.
152658092_7de53741ac_z.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
there's nothing wrong with bolting crankshafts together....Detroit Diesel has done it for years and years.

I would hazard a guess that Detroit Diesel put more engineering into bolting their cranks together than these guys did.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php?v12=main

Ryan Falconer has been making V12 engines for many years. At the Oshkosh "fly in" , many years ago, there was a 3/4 ? scale P51 Mustang with a Falconer V12 engine.

Not sure if it flew in under it's own power, but it sure looked like it did.

falconer_v12_main.jpg

Here is a homebuilt P51 with a Falconer V12, based on the Chevy Small Block.
152658092_7de53741ac_z.jpg

The Falconer V12 has been around for many years. There is even a Corvette in the National Corvette Museum with a 600-cube Falconer V12, and I first saw that in 1995. Falconer was very involved with the Thunder Mustang project, and his V12 was the standard engine in that airplane before Thunder went bankrupt. Thunder Mustangs have been entered in the Sport class at the Reno Air Races a number of times, and I remember hearing that one had crashed. Falconer also had a version of his V12 with a LARGE Vortech supercharger on it that was supposed to make ~1600HP. It was also supposed to go into a Thunder Mustang, but I never heard if it was completed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
OK, I'll play the contrarian. The engine builder is cutting up 90 degree V8s. As one of the replies in the link said It is a V16 with 4 cylinders missing, not a 60' "real" V 12. The 4.0 Cologne V 6 in my Ranger is a purpose built 6 and has a 60' V block. Why not do it right? 8 liter ~ 488 ci.

A 90-degree V12 is a valid engine configuration because any V12 has perfect balance of primary and secondary translationals and moments. The knock against 90-degree V12's is that they are not even firing if the crank pins are not split 30 degrees. In that case, the crankshaft will be subject to torsional vibrations at 1.5 times crankshaft speed, and the torsional damper needs to be specified to cope with it.

Der Bolide.

8-series “Der Bolide”

To create the engine for this 8-series, BMW essentially took two 3.0-liter M3 engines and welded them together at a 60-degree angle. This V-12 produced 520 to 550 hp—enough thrust to get from 0 to 60 in a little over 4 seconds and reach a top speed of over 200 mph. The series car’s pop-up headlights were omitted to save weight and space. The car made it pretty far in development and could have been offered as an M8, although its internal moniker was “Der Bolide,” literally “the fireball.” Weight was between 3100 and 3300 pounds—well below the 850CSi, which used a 375-hp version of BMW’s regular V-12. The 850CSi made it into series production; the 6.0-liter V-12 of the wild concept was further developed and ultimately powered race cars and the McLaren F1.

bmw-8-series-604-626x382.jpg

The M car that wasn't.. and blows away an 850CSi.

^^^ Sorta makes you wonder how the 850 that was sold in America weighed in at 4300 plus!!!

It was an overweight monster two doored (expletive deleted!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back