vaseline-like grease for ball on gear shift lever

Status
Not open for further replies.
new member, longtime lurker. can someone identify a grease for me? i changed the gear lever on my car some years ago. the stock gear lever had a grease on the ball that i wiped off with my finger, and wiped on the new gear lever.

here is the shift lever on the right (not my photo but it is the same item).
the ball joint is just above the yellow sticker:

• the grease was translucent, looked chunky
  • color and consistency was similar to vaseline
  • nowhere near as slippery as wd-40
  • not quite sticky or tacky as vaseline
  • i've seen something similar on consumer electronics with moving parts (like an electric motor)
  • the ball joint is encased in a plastic cup surrounded by a rubber boot

since then for regular maintenance i used a multi-purpose automotive grease from the suggestion of an autoparts store employee. this valvoline grease is black as far as i can tell but i learned through this forum that petroleum grease is not good for rubber. also the black grease stains everything and is a pain to clean.

is there a suggestion for a replacement or does anybody know what kind of grease i am talking about? or maybe the proper search terms so i can continue to look. thanks.

thanks for everbody's replies. i've also tried a dielectric silicone grease which was stupid expensive. it was a bit too "grey" in color and too runny compared to the original grease. the original had a brownish tint like vaseline. i will get a tube of the super lube and try that out. thanks again.

Sylglide seems fine for the rubber boots on my calipers, and holds up well under heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back